ArenbergTrench disabled access

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captainwull

Hi.
A few years ago I successfully posted here looking for advice on how to get disabled access to spectate on the Kwarmont during the Ronde Van Vlaanderen.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to do the same at the Arenberg Trench during Paris Roubaix? Even just to be able to park nearby would be great.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Radio silence! Sorry, I don’t think anyone knows! Maybe try the local tourist board?

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I think parking close by might be tricky. There's a large car park outside the mine at the point where the riders enter, but when I was there it was the day before the race and already looked pretty full (loads of people in camper vans). There's a small carpark at the exit, but I'd be surprised if they'd let you park there on race day.

Contacting the local tourist board is a good suggestion!

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

Hi
I think parking close by might be tricky. There's a large car park outside the mine at the point where the riders enter, but when I was there it was the day before the race and already looked pretty full (loads of people in camper vans). There's a small carpark at the exit, but I'd be surprised if they'd let you park there on race day.

Contacting the local tourist board is a good suggestion!

Hi, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I've contacted tourist information at a few places around and nobody has replied. Its quite frustrating as the same thing happens at the Tour de France, they almost always have disabled access places at the beginning and end of a stage. You need to be telepathic as they never tell you where they are or how to gain access.
On the Champs Elysees a few years ago I must have writted a dozen emails to the UCI and Tourist information but not one person replied.
I was in France anyway, so a couple of days before the final stage I went up and down the Champs looking for a handicapped area. I found one getting constructed at Concorde, I asked an official looking guy how do I get on here. he shrugged his shoulders and just said get here early.
So I arrived at 8am - nobody about, there was no seats, just tiered staging. I went along to a Carrefour (I use a Brompton instead of a wheelchair) and bought a camping chair and sat there till about 3pm. Then two bouncers came along and told me to leave. I remonstrated and they called the police, the police came along and got intouch with a high up official, he came along, could clearly see I was disabled and let me stay. He even asked if I needed anyone to assist me, I said my wife does but she cant get in now. So he went away, found her and let her in, top man.
Not one other disabled person was in that area, it must have held over 100 people if they had only let people know where it was.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Have you thought about trying to get to one of the other 5* cobbled sectors? From what I've seen on the TV, it looks like there might be more room for spectators at Mons en Pevele and Carrefour de l'arbre.

Also, the peleton is usually a bit more strung out when it gets to those sectors. so you may get to see a bit more action!

Wherever you are at P-R, it's not like the Kwaremont where you get to see a few circuits.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

Have you thought about trying to get to one of the other 5* cobbled sectors? From what I've seen on the TV, it looks like there might be more room for spectators at Mons en Pevele and Carrefour de l'arbre.

Also, the peleton is usually a bit more strung out when it gets to those sectors. so you may get to see a bit more action!

Wherever you are at P-R, it's not like the Kwaremont where you get to see a few circuits.

Good Luck!

Hi
I've not really bothered with any of the other sections, The trench is on my bucket list, The lack of communication is really disappointing, Absolutely nobody has replied, not even the UCI ASO or French Cycling Federation.

OP
OP
Captainwull

Captainwull

So, after driving over 800 miles I got stopped 2 km from the entrance to the Trench, security guy asked for my pass. I showed him a trail of 19 unanswered emails and 3 phone calls, then my blue badge and prosthetic legs. He shrugged his shoulders and said you can’t go through, you have to walk …… %#$?!!!

Top Bottom