Aren't them foreigners weird...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
One of the reasons I like going to forrin climes is to experience different ways of doing things.
I was amused recently, in Santiago de Compostela airport loo, to be able to wave and chat to passers by while using the urinal.
How refreshing!
Any odd customs you've come across?

San Francisco airport had stalls that covered your midriff but not the strain on your face. I became constipated as soon as I saw them.

I stay in on Friday nights for fear of turning into a Norwegian.

Work finishes early (no problem with that), then the next 8-10 hours are spent drinking large amounts of crap, cold, fizzy beer with a meal squeezed in somewhere (no-one ever remembers what or where). A few quarrels, arguments occur, followed by the obligatory fight, then you're sent home in a taxi by your colleagues, and in addition to paying £50 for a 20 minute journey from the city centre, you have to pay another £50 cos you've puked up in the taxi/over the driver and that's the going rate.

You eventually 'wake up' Saturday afternoon not remembering a thing and having an empty wallet lying on the floor. You phone a few friends to ask if anything 'happened' then go back to bed, knowing you've got a crap Sunday in store before being back at work Monday morning and guaranteed 'pi$$-taking' before shaking it all off and start to look forward to the following Friday.

It all seems a bit like American Physcho without the killings. And I'm NOT the subject here. :smile:

How I miss evenings in the pub back home: REAL ale, at a decent price, in a quiet pub with some mates and a 'sensible' Indian meal awaiting at the end of the evening.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
When I lived in Milan, I never got used to going out for the evening at the END OF THE EVENING, like 9 or 10pm. They were bemused by my drunken state at the more reasonable 7pm. Just plain weird.

This is a nice weird.

First time I went to Finland (in the 80s) I had a sauna with a mate and quite naturally, a group of women came in, let their towels fall to the floor and they sat there and laughed at the expression on my face after my mate told them it was my first sauna in Finland.

In the nordic countries, nakedness isn't mistaken as an invitation to have sex, although depending on your gift of the gab...! ;)

I went to a weird place where people you've not met would be friendly in public. Think it was called Manchesterland. Completely freaked me.

I experienced that in Australia on the two occasions I was there (aged 30 and 50) so they talk to young and old alike. :smile:

sight-pin

Veteran
I remember similar when as a nipper, the WC's with the iron courtesy screens and a troth along the streets in France,

Top Bottom