Argh - Just had to hacksaw the LH crank of my MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTB needs a new BB - it's been delivered and oh two minute job wasn't............:angry:

Drive side off, WD40'ed crankset and cleaned up. Park BB remover into LH crank, started to undo and it pulled the threads ...argh Park tool wrecked and the LH crank still on.....(threads on crank were a bit dodgy anyway)......

Super glued extractor in, put still pulled out. Out with drill and hacksaw - 10 minutes and off........... :whistle:

Now need new LH crank..........bugger as drive side is fine........ :angry:

Check e-bay - nothing going - Need M550 Deore LX crank... carry on searching....SJS Cycles has a Deore LH crank of the same style - awesome.......:becool:

Ordered, together with a new Park BB Tool............

SJS always have parts...... they specially ordered a Dura Ace 7410 headset for me a couple of years ago. Not the cheapest of places, but they are about the only ones that carry lots of parts..........

eddiemee

Strangely enough I just yesterday bought a hacksaw to do exactly the same thing. Due to my inexperience/incompetence a few years back I stripped the threads trying to get the LH crank off. Was really annoying as I've had to replace the individual chainrings when they wear rather than whipping off the whole chainwheel and sticking a new one on. Glad to hear it's only a ten minute job, might have a go at it this morning.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
MTB needs a new BB - it's been delivered and oh two minute job wasn't............:angry:

Drive side off, WD40'ed crankset and cleaned up. Park BB remover into LH crank, started to undo and it pulled the threads ...argh Park tool wrecked and the LH crank still on.....(threads on crank were a bit dodgy anyway)......

Super glued extractor in, put still pulled out. Out with drill and hacksaw - 10 minutes and off........... :whistle:

Now need new LH crank..........bugger as drive side is fine........ :angry:

Check e-bay - nothing going - Need M550 Deore LX crank... carry on searching....SJS Cycles has a Deore LH crank of the same style - awesome.......:becool:

Ordered, together with a new Park BB Tool............

SJS always have parts...... they specially ordered a Dura Ace 7410 headset for me a couple of years ago. Not the cheapest of places, but they are about the only ones that carry lots of parts..........

Pain the arse! Sometimes people bathe things in threadlock before tightening them ... then you can never get them off!

Top Bottom