Argos Mini Velo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TempleDancer

Looks like I am a bit late to the mini velo party, now that they are no longer popular and the only options are at a stupid premium (see Velo Orange Neutrino).

However, Argos have a reasonable looking budget offering here: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2728067

Anyone tried one or have any comments?

I want something I can chuck in the back of the car more easily than my fixed gear for short rides with the kids. I've had a budget folding bike in the past, but didn't like the feel of it. Too noodly and the head angle felt like it was 90 degrees.

I have a Dahon mini bike (Smooth Hound) and love it to bits, they are fun to ride and easy to store.

I have no experience of the Argos bike, but from the photos I would be a little wary of that handlebar clamp, it does not give off a great air of solidity.

Was there ever a mini bike party? Certainly big in Japan but I have never noticed many in the UK.

Have you considered a used Raleigh twenty ot a RSWv as an alternative? You can find then for less than the price of the Argos and bask in the retro cool.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like the bike has a fairly short wheelbase, but 20" wheels and deep section tyres hardly make it a 'mini velo'.

Probably rides well enough, although I expect the front wheel might tend to lift if climbing hard in the saddle.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have a Dahon mini bike (Smooth Hound) and love it to bits, they are fun to ride and easy to store.

I have no experience of the Argos bike, but from the photos I would be a little wary of that handlebar clamp, it does not give off a great air of solidity.

It looks like an old style quill stem.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks like the bike has a fairly short wheelbase, but 20" wheels and deep section tyres hardly make it a 'mini velo'.

Probably rides well enough, although I expect the front wheel might tend to lift if climbing hard in the saddle.
I don't think there would be much hill climbing going on with that bike. I would think the people who buy one it would be for flat rides.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't think there would be much hill climbing going on with that bike. I would think the people who buy one it would be for flat rides.

Almost certainly.

You've not seen my 20" wheel ebike which has a very similar frame design.

I've done some 20% plus climbs on that with both me and the motor flat out.

The front wheel tends to skip when I'm hauling back on the bars, which I always do when climbing hard seated, despite trying not to.

Quite off putting because the front wheel lands in a slightly different direction meaning the bike darts off course.

Top Bottom