arm powered recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
I suppose it makes sense that there is only so much energy available and that if it is already being used efficiently then there is little to be gained by added complexity.

Just think - you have a battery and a light bulb. Add another light bulb, and you get some more light, but the battery runs out quicker...

byegad

Legendary Member
Here's a picture of three arm powered riders with a leg powered trike in close company. They were doing bit and bit for almost the whole race!

Hoolie

Yes, it is possible to use both your arms and legs!

Night Train said:
I wonder if it is possible to use both arms and legs together in some sort of geared and coordinated way to get maximum power output?

Check out the trike I ride, the "Rowcumbent" by Beanzbikes. You pedal like a conventional bike and row with your arms as an assist. You don't have to use your arms, but when you do you get a great full body workout and burn twice as many calories. This recumbent trike is so stable and fun to ride, plus the added arm power makes the hills easier. It also works for some physically challenged riders. I met another owner of a "Rowcumbent" and they had Polio as a child, so their legs are weaker. The added arm power lets them get out on the road and ride.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I saw a bloke on a "rowing" bike (not trike) in Hyde Park on Friday morning. He was on one of those high, chopper style recumbents where your feet are lower than your bum.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was doing the Fleet Moss Randonee in 2006, I stopped for a drink at the top of Fleet Moss. Those of you who know the 25% climb up from Hawes in Wensleydale will understand why I needed to catch my breath :becool:!

I was admiring the scenery down the other side towards Wharfedale, when I spotted a group of riders on hand-cranked recumbents coming up towards me. It was a pretty humbling sight - take a look at the profile of the hill that they'd just climbed...

fleet_moss.jpg

I am not worthy!

Andy in Sig said:
I saw a bloke on a "rowing" bike (not trike) in Hyde Park on Friday morning. He was on one of those high, chopper style recumbents where your feet are lower than your bum.

I saw a chap on one of those when I was cycling in Essex once last year, he whizzed past me on a corner and fell off and I ran over him on the trike, luckily it was just hurt pride for him and we had a laugh about it, when he passed me I was so amazed at the contraption that I did not brake when he fell off until to late, he said that when he saw me he was determined to pass me and overcooked the corner, ah the joys of not racing. :becool:

Top Bottom