Armchair cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1, couldn't hear his comment?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Amazing what the camera does to the perspective, it looks like you are going DOWNHILL and I wondered what all the puffing was for.

sorry, that doesn't really help much does it

JoysOfSight

jonny jeez said:
Amazing what the camera does to the perspective, it looks like you are going DOWNHILL and I wondered what all the puffing was for.

sorry, that doesn't really help much does it

You are a cruel man!

My favourite is when people tell me that they can't see me. I find it genuinely hard to know what to say!

Downward

Guru
Matthames said:
He said, "You have got to go faster than that mate"

Edit: I have annotated the video now with a speech bubble with what he said

Oh right, No chance of standing up and going a bit quicker through that section or if there are cars behind just pull over and recover a bit.

Bayerd

Über Member
Speaking of armchair cyclists, I was telling someone last week of my plans to do the Manchester to Blackpool ride next month. He rather flippantly said "I can't imagine that'll be too difficult for you, it's mostly flat isn't it?". I won't hold my breath waiting for him to log on to my just giving page.....

This from soneone that does no exercise bar raising glasses. He obviously has no comprehension of the effort that goes into cycling that distance, even as you are getting used to it.

Hehe, I got my own bit of advice from an 'armchair cyclist' last night at a similar but narrower pinch point last night. I was out of the saddle honking up a 2-3% and with a strong wind behind me doing circa 19mph when a driver appears behind and start blurting his horn repeatedly and aggressively. As this is a straight road for several miles; I didn't want this pr@t behind me, so I slowed down and let him past when the road widened up again (so I held him up the whole of 10m, just over a second). As he past he slowed down and shouted 'keep straight'. Honking up the hill my tyres at most had moved alignment 2-3 inches and the body and bike had moved about a foot at most to either side.
So if I hadn't been honking and 'kept straight' you would of tried pushing through? I've got news for you even if I hadn't been honking and was somehow balancing on the kerb, there still wasn't room for that 2 seconds :becool:

Jezston

Über Member
Perhaps you could keep a variety of signs on your lap for the purpose of explaining to idiots why what you are doing is right, and for THEIR safety as much as yours.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
HLaB said:
Hehe, I got my own bit of advice from an 'armchair cyclist' last night at a similar but narrower pinch point last night.

:ohmy: That must be a really narrow pinch point. The pinch point I mentioned in the OP is only wide enough to let a bus through and is put there to try and deter joy riders from tearing around the estate. My camera probably distorts the proportions slightly.

Matthames said:
:ohmy: That must be a really narrow pinch point. The pinch point I mentioned in the OP is only wide enough to let a bus through and is put there to try and deter joy riders from tearing around the estate. My camera probably distorts the proportions slightly.
A bus would normally just get through this pinch point but it was blocked by parked cars and bus wouldn't have got through last night.
I found my camera (fish eye lens) would make thing in front seem closer but things to side look further away.

Top Bottom