Armstrong and the TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mangaman said:
Sorry to pull you up Kevin - Leblanc saw Armstrong as a way of globalising cycling and introducing the ridiculous pro-tour. He never did anything to upset Armstrong.

BTW you're only 5 years late :tongue:

"In 2005, Prudhomme replaced Le-Blanc as director of the Tour de France"

Just a quote from Wiki - but true.

don't be sorry mate
I have been corrected my knowledge in this area is badly out of date !

lukesdad

Actually I ll think you ll find that the French took exception to Armstrong originally because of his refusal to give interviews in french during his early wins in the TDF, something that subsequently changed later on.

Crankarm

Guru
Basically people hate winners who dominate a sport. These people are generally ignorant of sporting genius and shear hard graft. All class sportsmen and women have suffered Borg, Navratilova, Carl Lewis, Pete Sampras, Steve Davis, Michael Schumacher, Roger Federer .......... and Lance Armstrong.

beastie

Guru
Crankarm said:
Basically people hate winners who dominate a sport. These people are generally ignorant of sporting genius and shear hard graft. All class sportsmen and women have suffered Borg, Navratilova, Carl Lewis, Pete Sampras, Steve Davis, Michael Schumacher, Roger Federer .......... and Lance Armstrong.

Carl Lewis. Hmm. he may be a winner but he has at least 3 failed drugs tests from the 80's when US athletics brushed them under the carpet. :ohmy:

yello

lukesdad said:
Actually I ll think you ll find that <snip>

You make it sound like fact when what you're expressing is an opinion.

"The French" did not, on mass and as a nation of people, take a dislike to Armstrong because he didn't speak French in interviews. Cyclists not speaking French is certainly not uncommon, and some of those cyclists get interviewed with a translator where both interviewer and interviewee do not share a common language. Contador is frequently interviewed and never speaks French. Armstrong was interviewed in English yesterday. Cavendish the day before. I even note that Cadel Evans, who tried it in French a year or so back, has reverted back to English. And a number of non English speaking riders get interviewed in English, notably the German riders.

Btw, some notable cyclists that do speak good French are David Millar, Hushvold, Voight, Vinokourov (which surprised me) .... many others, minds gone blank. Cancellera and the Schlecks do too but I'm not sure if that's to be expected!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think the "French hate Armstrong" comes as much from Mr Armstrong himself, remember his "fear" that he was going to be attacked on the tour route?

He also plays up his dislike for the French at times, memorably wearing a t-shirt depicting a cowboy boot kicking a frog.

lukesdad

The opinion was created by the french press, I remember it very wel not my opinion at all, I ve lived in France in the past and have no axe to grind with the french as a nation. Im fully aware of how interviews are conducted, thank you. The french press are as bad as any other but in this respect their patriotism went to far.

yello

So still an opinion, which you are entitled to. I happen to disagree with it.

I see some truth in what JtM says. I reckon 'the French hate Armstrong' is one of those bits of overt nonsense that gets manipulated as fact for the purposes of agenda.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...g-French-could-ruin-my-Le-Tour-ambitions.html

"We have a long history. I know that my comeback wasn't welcomed by a lot of people in France," he said in a video message.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gkqU08xcO58LOyIMmYH1O7I_5OmA

Asked if that meant he feared an attack on next year's tour, Armstrong responded: "Yeah. There are directors of French teams that have encouraged people to take to the streets ... elbow to elbow. It's very emotional and tense."

yello

Saying it louder doesn't make any difference.

"The opinion was created by the french press" and "The french press are as bad as any other but in this respect their patriotism went to far" are not facts, agreed? You are offering opinions, no?

lukesdad

No originally I was stating a fact. Which is well documented you turned it in to an opinion to belittle it.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
John the Monkey said:
Zim, your comment puts me in mind of Sastre's '08 win - another classy rider & winner, imo.
John the Monkey said:
Brajkovic?
I wonder. If Lance has a shaky first week & Levi/Kloden go well...Nah, you're right.
John the Monkey said:
I think the "French hate Armstrong" comes as much from Mr Armstrong himself, remember his "fear" that he was going to be attacked on the tour route?
If you want to award the title 'Mister' to Armstrong, please extend that courtesy to all members of the peloton.

Top Bottom