Armstrong as ex-World Champion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Something has been bugging me for a while but I have kept forgetting to follow it up until now when I saw a 2002 picture of Armstrong in a USPS jersey with World Champ rings on the sleeves as is customary. However when the team changed to Discovery in 2004, he dropped the rings. Any significance to this, or did he prefer to have everyone wearing the Livestrong sleeve band instead?

walker

thats 2 years since he won it, he lost it the following year to Luc Leblanc (I'm sure that was his surname)

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
He won it in 1993 - but this was a decade later. I'm talking about the sleeve/collar rings for ex-champions à la Freire, Boonen etc... They are there on his USPS kit, but not on his Discovery kit.

walker

Ah you mean this
1248832.jpg

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Maybe Disco wanted him to be seen wearing a jersey that you can buy, rather than 98% of the jersey you can buy.

Chances are it's something to do with the money/merchandising men.....

Keith Oates

Janner
I never spotted that before, good observation Will. However the reason is also not known to me unless he just didn't like the idea out of personal choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walker

is it not something to do with the sponsors? I.e. Giro sponsors Freir and they now own the rights to add the rainbow colours to all their sponsored teams?

k-dog

As far as I know it's an optional thing. Lance wore them early on but then stopped wearing them.

Ullrich did the same I think.

Top Bottom