Armstrong Waives the Rules?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

kennykool said:
the toughest endurance sport on the planet!

Cheats never prosper!

Hmmmm, see the link?

Ah, bless the naivety!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Kenny, you're saying it's wrong for us to doubt Schumacher in the TdF even though we were proved right. Your stance would be fine if all the cheats got their come-uppance a few months later but as we know, most get away with it forever.
It surely is no coincidence that all the ex US Postal boys got done later or are we expected to believe that they only doped once they left Lance? We were right to doubt how Heras could bury himself in the mountains, day after day, for LA.

kennykool

fair point Rich

Maybe I was proved wrong about Schumacher and I accept that.

The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't be so critical of every rider when they have a good day. Give them credit for what they have acheived on that day! Be a fan of the sport - don't let it make a cynic of you.

kennykool said:
fair point Rich

Maybe I was proved wrong about Schumacher and I accept that.

The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't be so critical of every rider when they have a good day. Give them credit for what they have acheived on that day! Be a fan of the sport - don't let it make a cynic of you.
I don't think we are all that critical. Schumacher had too many good days, which is why people raised their eyebrows at his performance. I think that we do differentiate between a rider having a good day and a performance that merits a degree of scepticism. We might not be 100% accurate all the time, but hey. As for being a cynic, well, it's hard not to be isn't it? Look into the history of cheating and doping in road cycling, the Tour in particular. It's almost impossible not to be cynical. Personally I take the whole doping thing as being part of the circus. There are others though who can't find a way of dealing with it and just walk away from the sport completely.

yello

Chuffy said:
There are others though who can't find a way of dealing with it and just walk away from the sport completely.

To true, I was nearly one of them. It was only some sage words on this forum that made me re-orientate my view of it all and enabled me to see the doping as a part of it - an undesirable part but there none-the-less. Kind of like a moustache twirling baddie is a necessary part of any drama!

I think the racing would be more exciting without doping...........just look at the stage to the Alpe this year..............what a bore, before Satre lit it up.

It's almost as if all the main riders are at just about level pegging - which I just thonk is possible with 'normal' type training - but how come ?

Top Bottom