Arrgh! Hedge Cutting Season.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Everytime I see a farmer with a hedgecutter out a little bit of me dies inside.

Couldn't care less about the punctures (although I must now boast about my spanking new marathon pluses) as that's part of owning a bike but the hedges get massacred by the flails :'(
Me to. It is really sad to see farmers who have given up caring about well managed hedgerows and well drained ditches.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would imagine economics come into play.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never known it to be a problem, but then I don't think we do prickly hedges around these parts.
These chain flails don't half deface the road signs though!

Alan57

Went out Saturday on my mountain bike ,I live in a village and every road gets "hedged", came back noticed a lovely big thorn in my front tyre , fixed it . Went out Sunday again on my mountain bike , got home tonight , (after my crash on my road bike )and noticed the back tyre of my mountain bike was flat , another big bloody thorn !!!!!! 2 puntures in 2 days .

airbrake

"There is only a short time period in which it can be done".

This is not the case. Although hedge -cutting can resume on 1 September, DEFRA advise that where possible to trim hedges in January or February to preserve habitat and food for wildlife.

Unfortunately, this advice is largely ignored (certainly in this area). Many British birds are in decline, and it's sad to see the devastated hedgerows - brutally hacked both sides and top.

As part of the 'Single Farm Payment' subsidy scheme, farmers are required to maintain hedges, but all too often it's taken to extremes. There are moves to introduce different hedgerow management, where certain hedges are cut either bi-annually (some berries only form in the second year), or left for several years.

Of course, roads and tracks need to be clear, but maybe in the future many of our hedgerows will be spared this butchery - it's just mindless vandalism of the countryside.

Have been reliably informed by a charming customer services lady,'' That any mess would have been removed by the council workers, if I find any different evidence please call back with a location''.
I will be out again on Thursday, weather permitting.
Rant over, thanks.

If you look at the pictures I posted in "your ride today" you will see that Rutland has rather a lot of hedges, the majority of which seem to be Hawthorn / Blackthorn. Every year I am prepared for this, simple really, I turn around and choose another route, and if I can't I pick the bike up and walk the thorny stretch. Farmers are obliged to clear up after cutting but this can't be done at the same time as cutting. I just accept it for what it is, it's the price I pay for living in a traffic free environment.

Top Bottom