Arriva CrossCountry Trains - Cycle Reservations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
This probably belongs on Campaign, but I guess more people read this board...

Arriva are taking over what is Virgin Cross Country Trains from 11th November.

They are currently preparing their on-line ticket sales/reservations which they state will offer features such as print at home tickets, last-minute reservations, etc. However, when asked if they will be offering on-line cycle reservations, they give a very vague answer about the subject having been raised, and that they are only "considering it".

I would urge anyone with an interest in seeing on line cycle reservations for Cross Country Trains to get in touch with them, as they are still developing their internet sales. Contact details are:

Info@crosscountrytrains.co.uk

External Relations,
CrossCountry Mobilisation Team
5th Floor,
43 Temple Row,
Birmingham,
B2 5LS

Lurker

Thanks for the heads up - just sent the following email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I understand that Arriva will take over the services currently run by Virgin Cross Country Trains from 11th November.

I use these services occasionally for business and leisure travel. One of the disincentives I find - which prevents me travelling by train rather than other modes - is the difficulty in reserving space for pedal cycles. It seems obvious that it should be possible to do this via the internet.

Given the benefits to public health of promoting integration of cycles and train, together with the need for individuals, businesses such as Arriva and society generally to do all we can to encourage sustainable travel, can we anticipate that you will be offering on-line cycle reservations when you take over these services?

I very much hope so. Please would you let me know either way.

Yours faithfully etc.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Good stuff! Hopefully if they get enough representation they'll include it in their spec for on-line retailing. It isn't any different to reserving a seat which has been possible on-line for ages, so they (and other TOCs) ought to be able to offer on-line cycle reservations.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Somewhat late but I also sent arriva a short e-mail this morning outlining how useful it would be to have on-line reservations for bicycles and some of the hassle of the current system.

Lurker

Here's the reply I've just received - not good...

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us and apologies for the delay in responding.

We do not have immediate plans to offer online cycle reservations, however we will look at this as part of the ongoing development of our website.

We hope this answers your query.

Arriva CrossCountry Trains Mobilisation Team"

Arriva plc
Registered in England. Registered no: 347103.
Registered Office: 1 Admiral Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3 3XP.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Quite depressing really, when it can't be any more difficult than booking a seat which has been possible on-line for years. They have the opportunity since they're designing a new booking system as part of their franchise.

Lurker said:
Here's the reply I've just received - not good...

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us and apologies for the delay in responding.

We do not have immediate plans to offer online cycle reservations, however we will look at this as part of the ongoing development of our website.

We hope this answers your query.

Arriva CrossCountry Trains Mobilisation Team"

Arriva plc
Registered in England. Registered no: 347103.
Registered Office: 1 Admiral Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3 3XP.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I got the same reply as lurker at about the same time. Was worth pestering them though.

Top Bottom