Arriva Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Anyone had any experience with Arriva Trains, especially between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth?

Never taken my bike on a train before. I understand that it has to be booked on in advance and anything removable taken off. I take it that means panniers et al.

Just wondered what the space is like for bikes on these trains and what problems to look out for.

Any comments?

Cheers

domd1979

Veteran
This is Arriva Trains Wales' leaflet on cycle carriage:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=4116

Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth is operated with Class 158 units which carry two bikes per unit - if I remember rightly the cycle storage is in the middle of the train and isn't fantastically large so you may well need to remove panniers if there's a second bike in there.

sadjack said:
Anyone had any experience with Arriva Trains, especially between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth?

Never taken my bike on a train before. I understand that it has to be booked on in advance and anything removable taken off. I take it that means panniers et al.

Just wondered what the space is like for bikes on these trains and what problems to look out for.

Any comments?

Cheers

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks for that link.

Looks like the train is going to be part of the adventure!

First time out on a tour, short one, planing on train to Aberystwyth and cycle back to Shrewsbury on the Lon Cambria Sustrans route. Next month hope to do the Lon Las Cymru, (Holyhead to Cardiff) and getting the train back from Cardiff.

In the good old days you could sling your bike in the guards van. Be interesting to see how the new ways work.

No spring chicken anymore, but I'm really quite excited!! :sad:

Herlihy

Über Member
I did this trip just two weeks ago. The bike compartment is very small on the train and even with my panniers off , it was difficult to see how another could fit in the compartment, though thankfully no one else tried. I had a reservation for the bike but was not asked for it

Be careful at Shrewsbury you put the bikeon the right half of the train. The 11.30 I was on splits in two , and it was only just before the train left I realised I was on the wrong half

domd1979

Veteran
Good point - they split the units at Machynlleth. Looking at the timetable it seems the leading unit goes to Aberystwyth, and the trailing unit goes to Pwllheli.

Herlihy said:
Be careful at Shrewsbury you put the bikeon the right half of the train. The 11.30 I was on splits in two , and it was only just before the train left I realised I was on the wrong half

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I spent many years shuttling along that line - but wasn't into cycling then so didn't have a bike!!

Aber's fab though - I studied there and loved it. Try and take 10 mins to head up to coast to Borth. Go ALL the way along through the town to the beach at the end - dunes for miles. Stunning.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cathryn said:
Aber's fab though - I studied there and loved it. Try and take 10 mins to head up to coast to Borth. Go ALL the way along through the town to the beach at the end - dunes for miles. Stunning.
Or head to Aberaeron, or Aberporth, or the lovely little beach at Llangrannog... Ceredigion is a beautiful place, and the marvels of Pembrokeshire aren't that far away...

WJHall

Über Member
The unreconstructed 158s are a pain, but better than nothing. You can get two bikes in the space, just. (And two more in the corridor if the guard is helpful!)

The refurbished ones with the partition taken out are rather better. (Shows what private enterprise can do to a bad design decision by the old public railway.)

The reliability of the line may be more of a problem. Through travelling with Arriva whilst living in Aberystwyth my daughter has gained a very good knowledge of the Shrewsbury Aberystwyth road, through replacement taxis.

I believe it may be the case that you can insist on them supplying a replacement taxi that will carry your bike, but you need to check the authority for this.

In fact for any journey with bike in the UK reading the regulations first is a good idea.

John

Sitter

Cathryn said:
I spent many years shuttling along that line - but wasn't into cycling then so didn't have a bike!!

Ynyslas, lovely beach (featured in the BBC ad with the kites), lovely area.

As for bikes on the train, whenever I've been on the train I've only seen a bike on there about once in either direction (I'm a student there, so traveled the line numerous times). If you are worried about getting in the wrong carriage, just ask the guys on the platform as they should be able to help. What confuses matters is that the train effectively turns round at S'bury as the track's like a Y shape, the train comes in from Brum on one of the top forks, and leaves via the other, so the front carriage pulling in to S'bury is the rear one heading out to Aber.

Top Bottom