Arsen Gere's Ironman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carolonabike

Arsen Gere is competing in Ironman UK in Bolton on Sunday. I think I'm only marginally less nervous than he is.
Wish him luck.

Good luck to everyone else who's competing :hello:

Oops, I hit enter too fast, the title should say Arsen Gere's Ironman :blush: Mod's could you alter it please?

fimm

Veteran
Good luck to him indeed! I hope all goes well and he enjoys his day!

VamP

Banned
Well I finished 11.35, I think it was a record speed too. 4,000 mph or my garmin mucked it up. Run was very tough 27c and some sadist put a hill on it that you had to climb 3 times. Bike course was hilly too. In fact I am sure the lake had a hills in it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202315906

Good job!

That looks like a tough profile, well done on your time. How do you feel now?

Any idea where the Kona cut off was this year?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Thanks folks.
The crowds were fanastic, it was a sunny hot day, all the pubs emptied on to the streets to watch. So while they were supping beer I was trying to chew a bit of a banana that was like a sock my mouth was so dry.
I found it tough, I have no plans for another one. I would have done Kona if I had a place but I missed out by 10 minutes !

In my age group there were 3 places, one rolled down to 4th at 11.25.
The next day the awards ceremony looked like a John Wayne convention, loads of bandy blokes who could not pick a tenner off the floor. I saw one bloke ride up because it was easier than walking and have to be helped of his bike.
I was sore the next day and oddly I did not sleep well for a couple of days. I was expecting to be out like a light.
I cycled to work today - slowly but I'm not up for a run, may be an easy swim tonight, I've still got the tattoo like number on my arm, when it comes off the numbers will be still there white as I was burned a bit by the sun. My shoulders caught it too, I was not expecting summer to arrive so sudenly.
FWIW the bit that aches the most is my lower back, the hills did that on the run. I found I was leaning forward in to the wind too. So bad posture caused that when I was tired. 1:12 .2.4 mile swim, 6:07 112 mile bike and 4:05 for the marathon, I'm pleased with the time but disapointed not making it to Kona.

I knew it was going to be tough when there was a special forces recruitment booth at the registration.

VamP

Banned
T
I found it tough, I have no plans for another one. I would have done Kona if I had a place but I missed out by 10 minutes !

Gutting! Having got so close to qualifying, I can't believe that you won't have another go next year!

OP
OP
carolonabike

carolonabike

Guto qualifying, I can't believe that you won't have another go next year!
I have it in writing (almost) that it's a one off.
He was168th overall and I'm very proud of him, even though he wouldn't chat as I cycled alongside him halfway through the run :laugh:.
I also get to choose where we go on holiday in lieu of a trip to Hawaii^_^

VamP

Banned
I have it in writing (almost) that it's a one off.
He was168th overall and I'm very proud of him, even though he wouldn't chat as I cycled alongside him halfway through the run :laugh:.
I also get to choose where we go on holiday in lieu of a trip to Hawaii^_^

Get it in writing and notarised before he gets over the pain of this one :laugh:

Congrats on getting to choose your holiday destination, as you're probs going to Hawaii next year ;)

:bravo:AG. My mate Jimmy did the IM on Sunday as well, his tracking profile is HERE

He came close to getting pulled on the bike apparently, but hats off to him, he did it and raised over £10k in the process :wahhey:

VamP is spot on, it's a very tough profile. The bike route is a tough one, and the run is a soul destroying route, 3 laps and you can almost touch the finish line on each one :cursing:

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I almost tried the cycle route today since it goes past my house but I bottled it. Once around is tough but it was three laps for those that did it! Maximum respect!

Fancy trying the route on Sunday Smokey as training for next Sunday?

Top Bottom