Art or bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

tyred

Legendary Member
I have it on good authority (from a friend who has a long association and bought a few frames in his time) that the guys at Mercian hate having to paint their frames to look like an explosion in a paint factory.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the curly hetchins is one of the first triumphs of marketing in cycling. at the time, the manufacturers name on bikes was not allowed on racing bikes engaged in competition. thus hetchins' bikes were easily identified by the curly seat and chain stays, which resulted in more sales.

that said, i've seen an original '43 curly hetchins in the flesh, and it's a lovely bike.

i reckon both of the bikes in those links are well over priced though, especially the mercian. the hetchins has too much modern kit on it imho.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
tyred said:
I have it on good authority (from a friend who has a long association and bought a few frames in his time) that the guys at Mercian hate having to paint their frames to look like an explosion in a paint factory.

Regarding the number of colours used, they've certainly not followed a 'less is more' approach.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The hetchins has all the style of a Gypsy caravan.... and not the horse-drawn type. The Mercian is just too much of a good thing, why the buthered bars unless used for hill-climbs?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
The Mercian is for sale for £4,450.00

But they're still asking another £50 for delivery !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's had 4 declined offers. Tenner?

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Yes, yes, very nice ... if you like Multi-coloured bikes ...

but the question is,

Does it weigh less than carbon fibre or top-notch aluminium???!!!

It's all about the weight! Weight is everything!

I am a weight weeny when it comes to road bikes. :biggrin:

Top Bottom