Artex repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

Does anyone know what to use to repair an artex ceiling? It's a simple 'drip' pattern, so I'm wondering if finishing plaster, much diluted so it drips to recreate the random pattern may do the job. I recall doing a similar repair in our house when I moved a light fitting about 13 years ago and being able to buy a dedicated powder, but it doesn't appear to be available. As I have some finishing plaster anyway, that may do it! Area is only about 2ft square.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Take care! Artex may contain asbestos. More information here. :eek:‼️

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does anyone know what to use to repair an artex ceiling? It's a simple 'drip' pattern, so I'm wondering if finishing plaster, much diluted so it drips to recreate the random pattern may do the job. I recall doing a similar repair in our house when I moved a light fitting about 13 years ago and being able to buy a dedicated powder, but it doesn't appear to be available. As I have some finishing plaster anyway, that may do it! Area is only about 2ft square.
you can still buy stuff to try and stipple on . Or better still , wait and save on the cash and get a good plaster to come in and scrape the stuff off and put a smooth coat on . I hate the stuff !

Also some did contain asbestos but may depend on age of your house .

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I steamed it all off in a previous house. I too have (subsequently) heard it can contain asbestos, but luckily I steamed and scraped rather than sanding

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

you can still buy stuff to try and stipple on . Or better still , wait and save on the cash and get a good plaster to come in and scrape the stuff off and put a smooth coat on . I hate the stuff !

Also some did contain asbestos but may depend on age of your house .
"you can still buy stuff to try and stipple on" ......... what stuff?
I'm aware of the possible asbestos, thanks for the reminder though. It's in Daughter's first house (late 1970's), and I recognise that skimming it over is a better solution, but funds don't allow at the moment - I'm also looking for a quick remedy.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

B&Q couldn't find anything to do with Atrex which is hardly surprising :laugh:
Dreadful stuff, went with brown velour sofas. 70's ?

Indeed, dreadful stuff, but funds won't stretch to a skim over at the moment. In our own house, the living room had a dreadful 'fan' pattern about 1/2 inch thick, so we had it skimmed about 12 years ago. Guy who did it was good on ceilings, but oh dear my wall plastering was better than his! I confess to not being able to do ceilings though.... stilts not for me :laugh:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm aware of the possible asbestos, thanks for the reminder though. It's in Daughter's first house (late 1970's), and I recognise that skimming it over is a better solution, but funds don't allow at the moment - I'm also looking for a quick remedy.

I’ve seen artex repair tubs in B&Q ? Was a while back though

Adam4868

Guru
Get a bag of bonding plaster if you are able to do it yourself.Quick whitewash with pva/water mix.Put plenty on the damaged area,let it go off for a while and stiffen up.No need to be too neat and get your desired pattern/finish with a stipple brush.Should be able to buy one for around a tenner.

CXRAndy

Guru

Artex-Noooooo

Burn the house down:laugh:

seriously, expect to always to see the repair. No stipple job is ever the same. That's your cheapest solution. Nicest would be to skim the whole ceiling with finish plaster.

Top Bottom