Arthritis in thumbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently been diagnosed as having severe osteoarthritis at the base of both thumbs.

First step has been cortisone injections into the joint, plus Ibuprofen tablets, but I'm not getting much relief from either treatment.

Anyone else suffered similar? And have you found anything to deaden the pain?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mmm, I think I may have something like that in one thumb, albeit as yet far less bad. Comes and goes - worse when motorcycling (pulling the clutch), and much worse after a week's diving - pulling the suit cuffs on and off - but better after a month doing not much.

Ufortunately no advice to offer.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
That's how mine started about 10 years ago and I ignored it, but now it's bone rubbing on bone and pretty unpleasant.
It's incurable, but might be worth checking with your doc, in case they can slow its progress in your case.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe try a meatier anti inflammatory like naproxen (plus omeprazole to protect the stomach)

Any relief from heat or ice? Or rubbing in an anti inflammatory gel like Voltaren

albion

Guru
A possible simple solution is thicker bar tape. I recall that, initially, I could not rest my wrist on bars with ultra thin tape.

It will also be influenced by ride position so flipping the stem or moving the saddle might help.
I bought some ibuprofen but as yet, I just endure pain. I still wonder what is best for inflammation.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
Maybe try a meatier anti inflammatory like naproxen (plus omeprazole to protect the stomach)

Any relief from heat or ice? Or rubbing in an anti inflammatory gel like Voltaren

I'll certainly give the suggested meds a shot, willing to try anything as this is affecting every aspect of my life ....never realised how often we use our thumbs in day-to-day life, until now.
Cold certainly does give some relief, to the extent that even a single, cold drop of rain hitting the right spot is absolute bliss!
Voltarol or whatever it's called did nothing for me.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
A low carb,healthy fat, higher protein diet may help.

That pretty much sums up my current intake

According to something I read the other day don't take Ibuprofen regularly as it can have directly the opposite effect to the one you wish for!

I have quite severe osteoarthritis and mild rheumatoid arthritis in numerous places throughout my body resulting so far in both hips, one shoulder and a sodding great cage in my neck and my hands aren't up to much either with fingers that don't want to bend.

Although I do take Ibuprofen very occasionally when the back is giving me gripe, I try to totally ignore the other aches and pains as much as I can. For me at least I find that 2 x 1000mg high strength concentrated cod liver oil tablets a day (at 12 hour intervals) works well, but mind you it takes some months before it starts to help, so don't expect immediate results. A good, quite frequent consumption of high fat fish such as sardines, mackarel etc.

When the finger joint pain is at serious ouch level I massage in some Spiroflor SRL Gel which I find works wonders, I get mine from a friend in Holland but this looks like somewhere you could obtain it from http://www.dokteronline.com/en/spiroflor-vsm/

And last but not least a daily consumption of alcohol helps to numb the pain!!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been on methotrexate for a couple of years for a similar problem which was diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis. Could not easily change gear particularly with right hand. Improved gradually and have now stopped methotrexate for worry about side effects. ( don't ask ) .Hands seem not too bad at the moment so there is hope. Winter temperatures may cause a relapse but seeing consultant end of November to discuss this.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
According to something I read the other day don't take Ibuprofen regularly as it can have directly the opposite effect to the one you wish for!

I have quite severe osteoarthritis and mild rheumatoid arthritis in numerous places throughout my body resulting so far in both hips, one shoulder and a sodding great cage in my neck and my hands aren't up to much either with fingers that don't want to bend.

Although I do take Ibuprofen very occasionally when the back is giving me gripe, I try to totally ignore the other aches and pains as much as I can. For me at least I find that 2 x 1000mg high strength concentrated cod liver oil tablets a day (at 12 hour intervals) works well, but mind you it takes some months before it starts to help, so don't expect immediate results. A good, quite frequent consumption of high fat fish such as sardines, mackarel etc.

When the finger joint pain is at serious ouch level I massage in some Spiroflor SRL Gel which I find works wonders, I get mine from a friend in Holland but this looks like somewhere you could obtain it from http://www.dokteronline.com/en/spiroflor-vsm/

And last but not least a daily consumption of alcohol helps to numb the pain!!

Thank you very much for your comprehensive and considered response.
One thing I have been trying over the past couple of days is to massage olive oil directly into the thumb joint and this has been fairly effective at reducing the pain. Whether this is down to the massage, a placebo effect or actual lubrication of the joint remains to be seen, but it has allowed me to lay off the Ibuprofen.
I particularly like your alcohol treatment and will be contacting my GP to see if this available on prescription :blink::wahhey:

midlife

Guru
It's often trial and error with meds to see which work from methotrexate to cox-b inhibitors there's quite a few to try.

Hope you find something that suits you :

I particularly like your alcohol treatment and will be contacting my GP to see if this available on prescription :blink::wahhey:

Be duly warned Alan, never tell a doctor in the UK what you actually drink (the quantity) as the NHS etc. over here are all of the opinion that anything more than a thimble full a month is akin to holding a gun to your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BONKERS

Up until recently I lived in France where the health service expect you to drink, they expect you to eat fatty foods and most of all they expect you to lead a happy and full life. In fact my doctor ate and drank like a good-un yet well into his late 50's he was still mountaineering, he was still running marathons in fact he was as fit as a flea.

But as for you massaging olive oil into your joints, yes that is a good idea most especially if you then wrap a warm poultice around your hands afterwards.

Good luck to you.

BB

Top Bottom