Arthur Ritus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This week I was told I have two types of arthritus in my right knee and thigh and will be on pain killers the rest of my natural. At first I stopped calm and tried to ask what I thought was the right questions, you know the sort: Will I still be able to do the end to end, can I still do the challenge walks, what about the gym work outs. Nice doctor but I dont think he cottoned on to what I was saying and just mentioned pain killers and the possibility of surgury in the future. I semi panicked in the evening. Then calmed down and did a session on the spinning bike that was not too bad. Today I did a rough ten mile walk just below the Roman Wall (the bit that thankfully the hord do not visit) it was painfull but within acceptance levels. Any one else with the same problem and if so how do you deal with it? I am dammed if I will carry packs of pain killers around and I am buggered if I will lie down and accept Mr Arthur Ritus telling me what I can and can not do (SWMBO does that). So whats the crack lad's and lasse's

C

chillyuk

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and hips, and the pain and stiffness get worse when I don't exercise. A couple of good ride outs on the bike and the pain in my hips is virtually gone.

Wish cycling could get rid of toothache!

Fiona N

Veteran
Yes I agree with Chilly - got to keep going.

My nice Swiss GP used to say, whatever you do, don't stop sports or you'll never be able to start again.
Due to seizing up, was the implication :biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
That's the spirit Cush.

I was diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis at the age of 21. I am now nearly 57 and still cycling. I have learned my limits and do not ride in the really cold weather, as to do so would invite horrible agonies for several days afterwards, but provided the temperature is reaonable and I am well insulated, cycling is my saviour.

I worked (thankfully) for a relatively short period in an office, during which time I suffered terrible pain and at one stage was almost forced to give up work. The opportunity then arose to work outside again, but in all weathers in extremely exposed locations. At first I told myself I would never be able to do it, but I figured that I had nothing to lose. I either succeeded in the outdoor work, or failed in the indoor work. I chose outdoors where I was physically active all the time. Within a few weeks, my symptoms began to improve and I cut down on my medication.

As I had cycled long distances in my youth, and having moved to a small village where my local was a couple of miles away, I decided to get back to cycling. The low joint impact inflicted during cycling I found was incredibly beneficial. Within a few weeks, I found myself getting out of bed in the morning without pain and sactually looking forward to getting back on my bike.

I am now retired, but I cycle every single day when the weather is amenable. I suffer no arthritic pain to speak of and I am five foot ten weighing 11 stone. I feel top of the world.

Old Arthur can be beaten. Get stuck in.

Falwheeler

I suffer from psoriatic arthritis and at my worse my wife had to dress me, button my shirt and put my socks on. After trying various medication over several years I am now on an anti TNF called Humira which i have to inject twice a month. Relief was almost instant, not total but very nearly. On the strength of this I bought A new Secteur Ellite and entered the Dartmoor Classic, joined the gym and am trying to shift the extra weight I put on through inactivity. I know all cases are different and what works for some won't work for others but it's important to do as much as you possibly can. Years ago people with these conditions were told to rest and do nothing, they ended up in wheel chairs and wasted away. Now weight training is encouraged to support the joints. If you haven't seen a rheumatologist get your GP to refer you.

if the doc has give you tramadol be very careful it is addictive .
i was given it following a motorcycle crash it's good at first but soon need it to just feel normal.
i will never forget getting withdrawal symptoms not good
sorry if this is a bit heavy just don't want anyone to go through the withdrawal i had to

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello Cush . I have had a very painful excruciating knee problem . when I was a runner.
In 2000 I was out running one day and the knee started to lock up. And It seemed like two bones were grating against each other , and the nerve was touching . So I hobbled off to the doctors ,prescribed very strong karpake ? Some form of codeine pain killer . . Well it helped the pain temporaly . except I needed them more . and started to get very bad constipation . :wub: . I was eventually referred to the local hospital . And after X ray's was diagnosed as having a hole in the knee and was told at 55. I had Arthritis. This I could not except . I was also put on a course of physio . which helped . I was told to come back In 6 months .
I was completely fed up and thought It was the end of my Illustrious running after 15 years :wacko:
So I decided to do self help . I started to take Glucosamine and did all the physio exercises . And did more cycling to build up the Quads to take the weight off the knee . I stopped taking painkillers :ohmy:
Bought myself a Thermo -P medic knee support for the pain . It consists of magnets . I wore It when I got any pain . And It went . I now take Omega 3 which has Gloucosamine and Cod -Liver oil . All of this helps . As well as stretching And Massage . :biggrin: :whistle: I am still running now as well as cycling .
I hope this helps .

Top Bottom