Aryton rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Looking at the seat post before it was cut it seems that there should not be very much post in the frame, perhaps try cutting the post down the frame slot at the back never know it may just move?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Looking at the seat post before it was cut it seems that there should not be very much post in the frame, perhaps try cutting the post down the frame slot at the back never know it may just move?

I did do that, as far as I could go... There's a good 100mm stuck in there, unfortunately.

davidphilips

Veteran
Pity theres still lots of stem left in frame if it was mine i would try bolting on a slid hammer even if i had to use a home made one,failing this a lot of time with a hacksaw blade, then as a last resort if your drill or reamer dont remove it caustic soda, good luck.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Measured drill this morning.

If it's any use shout
IMG_20170701_091716140.jpg
IMG_20170701_091739860.jpg

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi again; I'm going to have another go this week.

I bought a plastic handle from Ebayvia to hold a hacksaw blade - it was £2.96 so it's a good one. I'll see how much further I can get with that!

I'm desperate to get back on the bike. None of my others come close. Know when a bike just makes you feel invincible?

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It's out!

DSC_0629.JPG
DSC_0632.JPG
DSC_0633.JPG
DSC_0634.JPG
DSC_0636.JPG

Using a Chinese hacksaw blade handle and a brand new blade, I sawed all the way through the seatpost and was able to collapse it with the molegrips! A bit more penetrating oil and it started to move slightly with a *grrroink*!

Next step is to degrease the whole thing with engine degreaser, then paint strip it before finding somewhere to have it soda or vapour blasted...

:okay:

Top Bottom