As seen on a Facebook art deco group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
My first ever post in the section is this photo that I found earlier, wonder how it handled with those chainstays?

Drago

Legendary Member
Just fine, apparently. The "curly" Hetchins chainstays made it easy for fans to recognise their riders at a glance, which also cheered up sponsors no end. Probably a bit small for me, but would look nice hung on my wall.

Not super-rare, but not exactly on every street corner either, and while they can be a bit pricy they often go for more sensible money than the classic Italian iron does.

Is it for sale?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Called the "vibrant" rear triangle to make it distinctive. Having ridden a few, just as normal, same for the Bates "diadrent" forks.

The lugs were a work of art with frames given Latin names which were incomprehensible to someone like me who had an outside toilet lol.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Just fine, apparently. The "curly" Hetchins chainstays made it easy for fans to recognise their riders at a glance, which also cheered up sponsors no end. Probably a bit small for me, but would look nice hung on my wall.

Not super-rare, but not exactly on every street corner either, and while they can be a bit pricy they often go for more sensible money than the classic Italian iron does.

Is it for sale?
No, it look like they're just showing it off, this is the original post.

I'd hang it on the wall and ride a modern bike any day.
I do both. I've been out on both a modern bike and my curly Experto Crede ("Trust the Expert", not Michael Gove's ride of choice then?) today and only one of them sparks conversations at traffic lights.

I find the more elaborate Hetchins to be a little too ornate for my tastes, and they're often over-restored - too much chrome and intricacy, rather like riding around on a pile of mobile horse brasses - but hey, each to their own. They, along with Bates ended up local to me in SE Essex, and I often wonder what a Bates Diadrant fork (with the 's' bend) fitted to a Curly frame would be like in terms of road buzz. Probably no discernible difference but it would be fun to try. Kinda wishing I still had a Bates, but it was too big for me.

There is definitely a different ride quality to them, but that could just as easily be psychsomatic. This one was built in the London shop in 1960 and cost twenty-five pounds, three shillings and sixpence and is still light and as tight as it was new and I have no compunction riding it as hard as a modern bike. @BalkanExpress - this is what the Kirk Precision turned into: lighter, faster and without a bonded fork that terrified me! ^_^

I do both. I've been out on both a modern bike and my curly Experto Crede ("Trust the Expert", not Michael Gove's ride of choice then?) today and only one of them sparks conversations at traffic lights.

I find the more elaborate Hetchins to be a little too ornate for my tastes, and they're often over-restored - too much chrome and intricacy, rather like riding around on a pile of mobile horse brasses - but hey, each to their own. They, along with Bates ended up local to me in SE Essex, and I often wonder what a Bates Diadrant fork (with the 's' bend) fitted to a Curly frame would be like in terms of road buzz. Probably no discernible difference but it would be fun to try. Kinda wishing I still had a Bates, but it was too big for me.

There is definitely a different ride quality to them, but that could just as easily be psychsomatic. This one was built in the London shop in 1960 and cost twenty-five pounds, three shillings and sixpence and is still light and as tight as it was new and I have no compunction riding it as hard as a modern bike. @BalkanExpress - this is what the Kirk Precision turned into: lighter, faster and without a bonded fork that terrified me! ^_^

View attachment 579815

I spy some Eroica friendly gearing:laugh:

Top Bottom