Asda Opticians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone here used them?

I've booked an eye test for next Sunday and I'm going to get 2 pairs for £99, (+£15 eye test).

Asda came out on top of a test I read a couple of weeks ago, granted it was from the Daily Fail and was also from 2012, but it's HERE anyway for anyone interested. That test pitted Asda, Tesco, Boots, Specsavers and Vision Express against one another, but just wondered if anyone had any direct experiences to share.

Considering what I paid for my current specs from Vision Express, (granted they are Oakley), the Asda deal does seems very good VFM, especially as it includes anti-scratch and anti-reflective coatings and the option of tints at no extra cost as well. All this seems to be extra at most other places and can really bump the cost up IME.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I got my last glasses from Asda (Eastlands one opposite Man City)

I got 2 pairs for £220 total (I have a hefty long sight prescription, always have extra costs with it!)

Pair 1: varifocal, reactolite (non polarised) with thinner & lighter lenses - very good, very comfortable, very happy with them.

Pair 2: standard glass polarised sunglasses,( my usual option for second pair) larger frame. Frankly crap. The finished depth of glass is thicker than a kilner jar, thicker ( for very small change in prescription) than any pair of glasses I have possessed in 43 years of wearing them on the NHS & private. To the point I cannot move the nose pieces to a position where I can wear them for more than 10 minutes without them being uncomfortable because the slab of glass gets in the way. I've only just started to wear them after getting them in November so haven't yet taken them back to argue the toss but they were quite firmly explaining that there was a two week grace period after collection to flush out problems - sunglasses in Manchester in November, not even Bono is that much of a tool.

Overall, good service & a comprehensive eye test at the time and the more costly option lenses are great but standard glass seems to be taken as f**k it they're cheap, anything will do.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
P.S. I've got a pair of specsavers edge clip polarised ones for my varifocals now, cost me £10. And apart from a little loss of wraparound effect I'm no worse off than if both pairs were spot on

If Asda don't do anything with my sunglasses they can keep them because I won't be able to wear them.

Dark46

Veteran
I use Tesco optitions , and have no quibbles. As long as the optition is ok then there should be no problems. The time before I went to Specsavers and got the wrong prescription ! So never going there again !

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Overall, good service & a comprehensive eye test at the time and the more costly option lenses are great but standard glass seems to be taken as f**k it they're cheap, anything will do.
Hmmm, mine will just be standard vision lenses so I'll have to check them carefully I guess. I'm just not prepared to pay the sort of money I paid for my current ones, which IIRC was about £300! Both pairs of new ones will be primarily for work use as my Oakley's are going to get ruined with the job I do now :sad:

I use Tesco optitions , and have no quibbles. As long as the optition is ok then there should be no problems. The time before I went to Specsavers and got the wrong prescription ! So never going there again !
Hope your specs aren't for keyboard use ^_^

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used my local, independent opticians a few months ago and received great service. Reckon it's the same principle as LBS, only calling them the Local Eye Shop might get a few odd looks...
Me too, and I've had very good service from them. I had to be referred to the eye hospital at one point, and the consultant in there commented I had a good optician. I like the fact it's the same person looking each time, so in my case with some irregularities in the back of my eye, they at least know what their notes mean.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Poking fun at people's spelling isn't big and it isn't clever.
However it can be humorous, but thanks for stating the obvious yet contributing nothing.

@Dark46, if you have an issue with the content of any of my posts, whether posted in jest or otherwise, please don't hesitate to PM me :becool:

My current specs (varifocal with reactolite lenses) are from Asda, and I have been very pleased with them. I thought the eye test at Asda was very good and very thorough, and I like the "clear pricing" policy - much easier to understand than some other opticians I have used previously, who appeared to dream up a price after some back of the envelope calculations....

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
My current specs (varifocal with reactolite lenses) are from Asda, and I have been very pleased with them. I thought the eye test at Asda was very good and very thorough, and I like the "clear pricing" policy - much easier to understand than some other opticians I have used previously, who appeared to dream up a price after some back of the envelope calculations....

How much did they cost ?

How much did they cost ?

I bought them 3 or 4 years ago (I have had another test in the meantime, but didn't need different specs) and don't recall exactly what they cost. I think about £120. Mind you, I didn't go for "designer" frames. But then again, I am a bit of a tightwad.......

Top Bottom