Ash Dieback Sadness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We had to have a mature beech tree and mature willow tree felled in our back garden. Both should never have been planted in the garden by a previous owner. The willow was finding a drain and the beech was taller than the house. I still have pieces from both trees, even though both were felled over 10 years ago.

Gillstay

Über Member
We had to have a mature beech tree and mature willow tree felled in our back garden. Both should never have been planted in the garden by a previous owner. The willow was finding a drain and the beech was taller than the house. I still have pieces from both trees, even though both were felled over 10 years ago.
I always have trees taller than my house, and cannot understand why why people worry about them so much. We have so many trees and they do so little damage.

Gillstay

Über Member
My information was from the local forestry department: they said it seemed that some (they said 10%ish) dseemed to be surviving, but that's the result of observation rather than a scientific survey.
If they are on deeper soils and older trees they are seeming to shrug it off in some cases, but younger trees on thin soils, ie south downs and they go quickly. But there are plenty of luverly trees you can plant as replacements such as Field Maples, and Hawthorns if you want low trouble small trees.

PK99

Legendary Member
I always have trees taller than my house, and cannot understand why why people worry about them so much. We have so many trees and they do so little damage.

All depends on the type of tree/type of soil/age of the building (foundation depth)/weather conditions

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Between the beech, willow and a silver birch, which we still have, they were making my back garden, extremely difficult to manage. It was a decision we agonised over for a long time.

We have ash and elm trees at the bottom of our garden . I stopped the ash from being cut down a couple of years ago . It is in no mans land between our houses. The ash trees seem to be okay at the moment but the elms are dying back in places.
We should be tougher on our imports like Australia and New Zealand are.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thread resurrection and more sadness.

Had a wonderful cycle yesterday in the Welsh Borders and walk today in the Peak.

They're all dying. It's an utter disaster. I've not seen a single ash in good health and many, particularly the older ones, are practically dead already.

The Peak is full of skeletons of huge ancient trees denuded of life. Whole woodlands and copses have a large proportion of dead trees.

It's so sad. Is nobody else noticing? It doesn't get mentioned in the media at all, yet is such a devastating loss to the country.

Had a wonderful cycle yesterday in the Welsh Borders and walk today in the Peak.

They're all dying. It's an utter disaster. I've not seen a single ash in good health and many, particularly the older ones, are practically dead already.

The Peak is full of skeletons of huge ancient trees denuded of life. Whole woodlands and copses have a large proportion of dead trees.

It's so sad. Is nobody else noticing? It doesn't get mentioned in the media at all, yet is such a devastating loss to the country.

We still aren't seeing so many here; there's several growing like weeds after being cut back at work. I hope this continues.

Gillstay

Über Member

Yes its very sad and losing the ancient pollards and veteran trees of great age and environmental value is particularly so.

We have a couple at the bottom of our garden which seem to be doing okay. One was almost cut down until I told the people that they had no right to do so as it wasn't on their land . The people wanted to get some light into their garden but have made things worse now as it has sprouted growth everywhere .
This area was devestated by Dutch Elm disease years ago so I tend to notice when trees don't look well . I have noticed that there are some oak trees which are also dying .

Top Bottom