Ashdown Forest bike routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doris

So whats the real problem riding your bike on Ashdown Forest then? Can anyone add a sensible argument against it....no they can't. You see it's one of those old fashion laws where modern forms of leisure and sport have excellerated to the point where local bylaws have'nt kept pace. As a local resident, dog walker oh and my wife horse rides (with a permit) on the forest I don't feel any guilt getting on my £2500 mountain bike and going for a 3 hour ride on the forest. Most people are very excepting of this and even say hello and 'what a nice day for a ride'. So even if you give me abuse I will always be curtious and I might even have time to discuss with you the wonderful health advantages and safety of cycling off road.

Oh and remember THERE IS a Bridlepath (yes that means bikes can legally ride it) from king's Standing down to the Crow & Gate, it's not very well signposted so maybe that's why I seem to get more verbal abuse riding here from ignorant people than anywhere else? One day cycling willl be allowed on the Forest, it's just a matter of time. Finances are very tight as local funding is cut, there are discussions about reducing the number of Rangers and paid parking! What better way to get money coming in if there is a paid permit for mountain biking-I'd pay.

OP
OP
C

cycleGeoff

Good for you Horseshit. Love the name by the way. :smile:

Whoa a lot of replies here! I had no idea cycling wasn't allowed in ashdown forest, no-one ever said anything the few times i've ridden there and I didn't see any signs.

Also, I have to agree that if dog walkers and horses are allowed then cyclists should be able to go there too, even if we have to buy a permit or something. Is it because it's a great place for off road biking and bikers would swarm the area? I don't know. I guess it's one of those idiotic rules that don't really mean anything.

I have tried the south downs, but the only good route I saw is the one that follows the river, a fairly flat ride which is great for speed but not the thrill ride I'm looking for... the hills are full of really long grass.

I am a tad puzzled, where on the Southdowns have you found long grass, if it not under crop the grass is chewed close by the sheep, you have many miles of Bridleways which are used by many MTB riders, during the year there many MTB events up on the South Downs, because of the reason that there so many tracks and Bloody great hills to test you.
Try the Area South of Lewes, Start a the 3 Jugg's in Kingston-near-Lewes, go up onto the Downs and pick up the SDW follow to Southease, over the hill to Alfriston, then you can return either by theUnder hill BOAT or head back over to Newhaven using the Bridle ways,

2bluegp

Friston forest is good. A wide range of routes, from gentle fire road tracks to some quite saucy downhill trails.
Well worth a visit.:smile:

Top Bottom