Ashley Neal and Cycling Mikey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
https://road.cc/content/news/youtube-driving-instructor-ashley-neal-takes-cyclingmikey-293027

Poorly written article to be fair and is already dividing people online. I dont mind Ashley Neal however feel he is completely wrong on this occasion, as Mikey has posted his actions have lead to that corner being safer in general which can only be a good thing.
Neals attitude in this video seeks to be very self subservient imo, talking about creating divides and sharing roads however only giving opinions from his point of view that support his career, claiming you are either pro road safety or not but going on to bash Mikey for creating safer roads.
The claim that Mikey has created 'Legions of cyclists' trying to catch people out is ridiculous especially with the growing number of people with dash cams (Neal himself) to protect themselves and others just shows his bias against cyclists in this video imo.

His statement that if all he did was report bad driving he'd have little time to do anything else highlights how much bad driving there is and should be thanking people like Mikey for having the time to do this.

Admit I am biased myself as I like Mikeys vids and am a fan of him, I do think he creates some issues for himself with what he does however he's hardy enough to keep doing it and take the flack so good on him.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottom line is, if car drivers didn't break the law then people like Mikey wouldn't feel the need to film them.

(waits for the first poster to mention Mikey taking on the wrong car driver one day etc :rolleyes: )

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
This is the problem with technology these days.
Just kick the cars and move on. One chap I know of Carrys round beach stones in his pocket and throws them At offenders.
A couple have stopped in the past but he just says dunno must of flicked up from the road.....

I've said before on here that I disagree with Mikey's confrontational approach. I'm with Ashley on this. Just take the video and report them.

Confronting them just leads to anger and road rage.

An advantage of that approach (assuming that there is follow up action) is that drivers can't be sure who caught them, so have to assume any cyclist, car driver or other camera could be the one that catches them, so moderate accordingly rather than keeping an eye out for the high profile ones.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Bit of a one-sided view as usual. Claiming that Mikey "creates more road rage incidents" is false. No-one forces an angry car driver to kick off. I don't agree with confronting people all the time but it's a free world and they can do what they want. If it makes the odd driver think about what they've done then all the better

Bottom line is, if car drivers didn't break the law then people like Mikey wouldn't feel the need to film them.

(waits for the first poster to mention Mikey taking on the wrong car driver one day etc :rolleyes: )

Well yes, exactly.

And haven't we been through this many times before? The same old anti-Mike stuff will get trotted out ... too confrontational, no-one likes a grass, "he's not doing us any favours", could be a better spokesman for "us cyclists" ... blah blah ...
All from people who are - of course - making major changes to Road Safety from the comfort of their broadband-connected armchairs ...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nice that Neal reveals his true colours. This should stop so many cyclists sharing his videos as if he's reasonable.

Neals attitude in this video seeks to be very self subservient imo, talking about creating divides and sharing roads however only giving opinions from his point of view that support his career, claiming you are either pro road safety or not but going on to bash Mikey for creating safer roads.

"Driving industry representative says cyclists should share the roads better; and drivers wouldn't break the law if they weren't being filmed."

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
If he's as concerned about dangerous driving & its consequences as he should be, then targeting CM's actions is wholly wrong-headed.

He seems to disagree altogether with anyone reporting dangerous driving, be they drivers cyclists or whoever. Just because he doesn't want to bother (his choice) he has no reason to attack those who can be bothered.

Alex321

Veteran
"Driving industry representative says cyclists should share the roads better; and drivers wouldn't break the law if they weren't being filmed."

Perhaps you at least watch the video (or even read the article) before attempting to "summarize" it, since that isn't even close to anything he suggested (where "close" means on the same continent).

Top Bottom