Ask your MP.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Doesn't work on my tablet. I'll try it on a desktop later.

Gunk

Guru
It is a very serious issue, every major city is gridlocked at rush hour. The infrastructure for cycling is non-existent which means that commuting by bike for many is just not an option.

Public transport is over crowded and slow, no wonder people take the car instead. But this issue is not in any of the manifestos. The solution is fairly simple, we need to take back control of public transport, make it irresistibly cheap, create proper safe cycle routes and people will use their car less as there will be cheaper more viable options.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
It is a very serious issue, every major city is gridlocked at rush hour. The infrastructure for cycling is non-existent which means that commuting by bike for many is just not an option.

Public transport is over crowded and slow, no wonder people take the car instead. But this issue is not in any of the manifestos. The solution is fairly simple, we need to take back control of public transport, make it irresistibly cheap, create proper safe cycle routes and people will use their car less as there will be cheaper more viable options.
Emailing potential candidates hardly seems enough, does it?

It's all we have though, so may have to do for now.

tom73

Guru
Mine has signed up but given he has 2rd job as regional mayor who on one hand is all for active travel. But on the other hand to fix congestion has signed off massive funding to turn a park into gyratory. So i am not holding out much by it sadly

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Mine has signed up but given he has 2rd job as regional mayor who on one hand is all for active travel. But on the other hand to fix congestion has signed off massive funding to turn a park into gyratory. So i am not holding out much by it sadly
I had to Google what a gyratory was.

Not great.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Not great.
What's worse, they often don't work. Many of London's have been removed. Cambridge seem to be forever tinkering with theirs to try to make them work, especially the small one at Mitcham's Corner. One of King's Lynn's is an Air Quality Action Area and the other gridlocks often but escapes sanction because it has no residences on it - it used to be a commons but I think it may be lost forever.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
The solution is fairly simple, we need to take back control of public transport, make it irresistibly cheap, create proper safe cycle routes and people will use their car less as there will be cheaper more viable options
Unfortunately, the reasons the car is the preferred transport option for many are complex and multi-factorial, so the solution may be far from simple. This research in Scotland begins to tease out some of those issues ... and then, only in relation to buses. This doesn't at all mean we shouldn't try, but perhaps need to be smarter in identifying the spectrum of factors and solutions.

tom73

Guru

Not great.

Too right what's worse is the traffic figures and journey times have been shown to made up. inc using bus timings of buses that don't even run at the times given. A Treat of action from the Highways Agency over traffic backing up which FIO shows they never made or will be.
But never mind the clowns will out in force come photo op smiling at the gleaming new road all 2 hectares of it.

Top Bottom