Aspartame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
In previous posts aspartame in diet drinks was mentioned as being bad, but why?

I tend to drink a 500ml diet coke everyday with my lunch. What is this doing to my insides?

Alun

Guru
Can you still clean pennies by leaving them overnight in Coke?

Nebulous

Guru
Aspartame has to be one of the most controversial additives you will find anywhere. Google for it. Many of the websites last time I looked were very lurid and greatly lacking in any credibility - lots of brightly coloured fonts that were pretty difficult to read and lots of rambling stories with no research material.

However despite not believing the conspiracy stories I try to avoid it. I bought a trial pack of SIS sports drinks containing aspartame while shopping without my glasses. I drank it but I didn't buy anymore. Its not just aspartame though - I avoid most additives where I can - including saccharin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of claims of such stuff being carcinogenic, whether it is, who knows! Better to drink water, but zzz

Glover Fan

Have heard a lot of bad things about aspartame, whether it is a real threat I don't know, but whilst I am fit and healthy I'd rather a sugar full real coke which can only rot my insides than risk cancer.

Besides diet coke tastes awful!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I hate the taste of Aspartame ... and can taste when I accidentally drink something with it in - it was an ice lolly last week - it leaves a bitter after taste in my mouth. I just don't see the point of it.... if you want to diet - avoid the food or eat less of it - rather than thinking that you can carry on consuming it in the same amounts.

Garz

Squat Member
I read up on it and it didnt look positive. This is long term mind you, if you drank a cans worth now and again I would hardly worry about it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I also hate the bitter after taste of aspartame.

I drink only tea, beer, wine and tap water. End of.

david1701

I also hate the bitter after taste of aspartame.

I drink only tea, beer, wine and tap water. End of.

add milk and vodka and rum and scotch and gin to that list

Lizzy

Asparimine is in so many things these days, it tastes nasty and I'd personally rather have the sugar. It has historically been cited as being carcnogenic, along with saccarine, however these are at super massive doses rather than the tiny quantities used in drinks etc.

Personally I avoid as much as possible, it's my biggest avoided additive. There are a few variety of sports drinks and fruit teas which have far less additives.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
There is no scientific evidence that Aspartame, Saccharine or Acesulfame Potassium are bad for people.

Some scientists claimed it caused cancer in rats, there was no empirical evidence that it did.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So as I see it there is no concrete evidence, just a hunch from a few scientists.

This shows the dangers of a trawl through the internet. Below is a list of possible side effects from one web site - what a load of carp!! You can't lay all of lifes health issues at the door of one ingredient.

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

Aspartame may trigger, mimic, or cause the following illnesses:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Epstein-Barr
Post-Polio Syndrome
Lyme Disease
Grave’s Disease
Meniere’s Disease
Alzheimer’s Disease
ALS
Epilepsy
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
EMS
Hypothyroidism
Mercury sensitivity from Amalgam fillings
Fibromyalgia
Lupus
non-Hodgkins
Lymphoma
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Besides diet coke tastes awful!

No it's way better than the full fat variety, you don't get carpet mouth afterwards either.

Though I change between diet pepsi and diet coke, both good. The steel cans of the Pepsi deceives you into thinking you've more left to drink though!

Top Bottom