ASS vs USS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
My only experience is of USS(KMX-X).
I am finding the transition from MTB to trike steering quite hard work, something I aim to rectify in part by getting some skinny slicks on those wheels!

T x

banjokat

I've recently converted my USS bike to OSS, not because I didn't like USS, I just fancied a change.
USS advantages -
slightly less twitchy low speed handling
end of handlebar is a convenient place to hang your cap on those tiresome climbs
OSS advantages-
MUCH, MUCH easier to mount computers, mirrors etc
Bike is much easier to store / fit through doorways
Also, with my hinged tiller setup I can raise or lower the bars a bit to stretch my arms.

I find both setups equally comfy but on the whole I think I prefer above seat steering.

BTW it's my first post on here - hello everyone!

Phil

Has to be USS for the majority of us - because lets be honest, we're not very fast are we? That last 2% of aero isnt making that much difference.

USS complements the whole laid back, falling asleep in the sun, getting a tan, confusing people who've never seen a bent before, "it might be an ergonomic miracle but mainly its fun" thing. And thumb shifters are cooler.

I converted my OSS to USS out of curiosity, & rode D.Tek's fleet, so my opinion is vaguely respectable.

Just to complicate thing even further.......

There are different ASS systems...

My Hurricane has a long upright section between a hinge and the bars enabling the bars to fit above the legs and (as above) allows positional changes.
BArs can be narrow, simply enough to hold the controls, or norma handlebars
Example here
2.jpg

Others like the speed Machine have a shorter "stem" with large sweeping bars which surround the knees

As here:

speedmachine_liegerad_mitzi.jpg

davidwalton

Hamster for me as well.

Top Bottom