Assistance with chain rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jojimbo

Hi everyone, I don't know a lot about tinkering with my bike but I'm trying to learn. I took my back wheel off to practice getting it off an on again, I watched a video that said to align the chain on the smallest chainrings when taking it on and off so I did that but now it rubs like crazy on the bottom of a part of the derailleur and another part of the chain when it's in the smallest chainrings in the front and back and I don't know how to fix it. Once I shift it into 4th in the rear it stops rubbing, thanks a lot for any help.

Attachments

• chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 20

Sharky

Guru
If it was ok before you played with the wheel, it would imply that you haven't put the wheel back the same.
But looking at the upside down photo, the chain looks too long for the small/small combination. One of the reasons which using this combination is generally not suggested.

When you put the wheel back, which ring was it on at the front? Try with the large front / small rear when putting the wheel back in.

Hope you fix it.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
chain is simply too long. It was almost certainly rubbing before, but you possibly didn't notice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That chain looks newish so could be that it wasn’t sized correctly when it was fitted.
To check remove the quick link, take the chain out of the derailleur and run it directly over the large chainring and the large cog on the cassette. When you put the ends together you should have 1/2 links left over. If not cut it to the correct size. Remember to leave the two inner links at each end for the quicklink. Plenty of videos on YouTube if you want a detailed account.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
Hi everyone, I don't know a lot about tinkering with my bike but I'm trying to learn. I took my back wheel off to practice getting it off an on again, I watched a video that said to align the chain on the smallest chainrings when taking it on and off so I did that but now it rubs like crazy on the bottom of a part of the derailleur and another part of the chain when it's in the smallest chainrings in the front and back and I don't know how to fix it. Once I shift it into 4th in the rear it stops rubbing, thanks a lot for any help.
I get exactly the same thing when I place my chain on the small front to small rear combination to remove my rear wheel.

My hybrid bike is a 27 speed (3 front x 9 back).

The chain is the correct length but the big size difference between the large rings and small rings means there is a lot of chain slack to pick up if the small to small combination is used.

Reality is that it's not a combination you would use so it isn't an issue.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I assume that using small-small for wheel removal is to minimise tension in the rear derailleur cage to ease removal? I would tend to use large(F)-small(R) to keep an easier-to-handle chainline and simply deal with the derailleur by pulling it back out of the way. In fact sometimes I stop in a middle gear and don't bother shifting especially for wheel removal - it all goes back together and takes a turn of the cranks to stabilise after reassembly.

Reactions: C R

Lovacott

Über Member
I assume that using small-small for wheel removal is to minimise tension in the rear derailleur cage to ease removal? I would tend to use large(F)-small(R) to keep an easier-to-handle chainline and simply deal with the derailleur by pulling it back out of the way. In fact sometimes I stop in a middle gear and don't bother shifting especially for wheel removal - it all goes back together and takes a turn of the cranks to stabilise after reassembly.
In my case, I just happened to be in small on the front when I needed to take the wheel off at home and shifted into small on the back (which I always do when taking off a wheel).

I noticed the chain rub when I ran the wheel after reseating but it only happens when the bike is upside down in small to small.

There is no contact when the bike is right side up.

Lovacott

Über Member
People stress too much about cross chaining. It's no big deal. If you decided it was your chosen gear and rode the majority of the time that way, maybe it would be. But every now and then ... doesn't matter at all.
I was doing it all of the time a year ago (cross chaining) and I did go through a couple of drivetrain parts a bit more quickly than I would have liked.

Now, I tend to use the gears a bit more intelligently.

When taking off a wheel, I go small to small or middle to small just to give me plenty of slack in the rear mech which makes life a lot easier when putting the wheel back on.

Top Bottom