Asthma and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was diagnosed with suspected asthma about a year ago now. Back then it was just a little bit of coughing when cycling. I hoped that it was the cold air made me cough a lot on the rides, but the symptoms have got noticeably worse in the last few weeks. At the moment, I can only go for a short rides because I know at some point I will have a coughing fit that will tire me out, and I would prefer to be able to return home relatively quickly when it happens. I have a rescue inhaler and I have been on steroid inhalers for the past six months, but the steroids seem to be having little effect on my symptoms. I could go back to the doctors and tell them that the current medication isn't working and they might offer me something else but I don't know if that would help. I find myself wondering if I have normal asthma or if it's just exercise induced. Not looking for medical advice obviously :tongue:, but just wondering if people have had similar experiences and have any advice. It's frustrating at the moment as my fitness is very good but my asthma symptoms are holding me back from cycling too far.

sight-pin

Veteran
Ventolin used to give me instant relief from asthma when i got out of breath, It don't work so good now since i suffer from COPD though

Last edited:
... the symptoms have got noticeably worse in the last few weeks. At the moment, I can only go for a short rides because I know at some point I will have a coughing fit that will tire me out, ....
I don't have asthma - so should probably shut up? But both my daughters do - and if they were experiencing what you describe, I'd be bullying them to the doctor. Pronto. a) Because the "management regime" is not working as it should/did. b) Because I know so little.

I was diagnosed at 4 so have always cycled with asthma. It's one of those ailments where you're in control.
I'd urge you to go back to the doctor and discuss what's happening in detail.
If you were not coughing at night it could well be exercise induced.
There's different grades of preventer and different dosages. Some tailoring is probably required. The Ventolin/Salbutamol stuff should be the last resort.

I get short of breath at the start of spring and winter, but apart from that have got it well managed.

Good luck with it and don't settle for half measures. This is your mobility and your life, you are in control.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My 5 Y/O has asthma. Its well controlled and we know then pattern, but our GP has told us to get her as much exercise as possible as that improves the condition.

Do you have a preventer Welshie, or just the reliever?
I'm taking two doses of steroid preventer every day but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I also have a rescue inhaler.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was diagnosed at 4 so have always cycled with asthma. It's one of those ailments where you're in control.
I'd urge you to go back to the doctor and discuss what's happening in detail.
If you were not coughing at night it could well be exercise induced.
There's different grades of preventer and different dosages. Some tailoring is probably required. The Ventolin/Salbutamol stuff should be the last resort.

I get short of breath at the start of spring and winter, but apart from that have got it well managed.

Good luck with it and don't settle for half measures. This is your mobility and your life, you are in control.
Thanks. Yeah, I suspect it may related to vigorous exercise because I went out walking for an hour yesterday and not a hint of coughing. In the evening I cycled for 10 minutes and was coughing like crazy. Time to go back to the doctor like you say.

dfthe1

It may also be being made worse by pollen at the moment. It's certainly affecting my asthma -- and I've never suffered from hay fever. I'm taking a one a day antihistamine as well as my preventer.

Jody

Stubborn git
I feel for you @Welsh wheels . I suffer with this to varying degrees and sometimes the inhaler doesn't make a jot of difference. Went for a ride last night and was fine while riding with maybe one or two coughs but the second I stopped, as is usually the case all hell broke loose. Really bad coughing fit that lasted for about 45 minutes, coupled with a lot of mucus on my chest, really bad hiccups and slightly short on breath. Always the same if it happens that I get all 4 symptoms lasting for up to an hour after a ride but the fluid build up on my chest can last beyond that. The cough is tickly and sounds like I smoke 60 a day.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I feel for you @Welsh wheels . I suffer with this to varying degrees and sometimes the inhaler doesn't make a jot of difference. Went for a ride last night and was fine while riding with maybe one or two coughs but the second I stopped, as is usually the case all hell broke loose. Really bad coughing fit that lasted for about 45 minutes, coupled with a lot of mucus on my chest, really bad hiccups and slightly short on breath. Always the same if it happens that I get all 4 symptoms lasting for up to an hour after a ride but the fluid build up on my chest can last beyond that. The cough is tickly and sounds like I smoke 60 a day.
Thanks @Jody, I can empathise with the cough, that sounds a lot like I get! It also happens as soon as I stop. Embarrassing when you get a whole club stop to check if you are ok! I hope your symptoms improve soon.

Top Bottom