Asthma control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
I was put on Fostair several years ago - basically it just stops me having problems
I do sometimes need the blue inhaler - but normally only if something else is wrong such as a cold or very cold air
Oh - and exercise!
Fostair is my drug of choice too.
I recently had to order a couple of new blue inhalers when I realised the half a dozen i have knocking around various handbags etc were all a minimum of 6 months out of date!

DRHysted

Guru
I was put on Fostair several years ago - basically it just stops me having problems
I do sometimes need the blue inhaler - but normally only if something else is wrong such as a cold or very cold air
Oh - and exercise!
I was moved onto Fostair yesterday, when I collected it the pharmacist told me to keep it in the fridge, do you do this? All the paperwork says to keep below 25c.
Very new to this asthma business, I was only diagnosed last year aged 46, and due to COVID everything has been done via email, post, or telephone.

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
No. My pharmacist says they keep it in the fridge but I don't have to at home
Thanks for the information. I’m not to sure about my pharmacy, every time I go I have to wait 20 minutes for them to get my order ready, it’s only ever been boxed inhalers. This could however be connected to difficulties brought on by COVID.

Julia9054

Guru
Thanks for the information. I’m not to sure about my pharmacy, every time I go I have to wait 20 minutes for them to get my order ready, it’s only ever been boxed inhalers. This could however be connected to difficulties brought on by COVID.
I quite often have to tell the pharmacy assistants to look in the fridge!

I always found that there was a problem picking up FOstair from the pharmacy - they couldn't find it on the normal shelves they have prescriptions on waiting to be picked up
They used to have to go to the computer and check - and it would tell them it was in the fridge.
2 things have happened
Firstly the pharmacy not have a system so they have a placeholder on the shelf telling them an item is in the fridge
Secondly - some time after that they stopped storing it in the fridge. Once the prescription was prepared, checked and sealed ready for collection they just put it in the shelf like everything else - I presume that they worked out that it would be collected soon after which it could be stored at room temperature so a few extra hours is OK

tom73

Guru
Just come across this thread.
They looks to be a little confusion about Fostair and keeping it in the fridge.
It only needs to be in the fridge when new and unused once you start to use it its fine to keep it out the fridge.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You mention dairy, but are you sure this is the only type of food that exacerbates it? I know the two are regularly associated, however there are potentially many other antagonists.

Controlling my intake of the many things I'm allegic to reduced my blue (salbutamol) inhaler usage from maybe 1-3 times per day every day to basically nothing (I've gone from regular prescriptions maybe every month or so to none in the past three years, and have just been occasionally using old / nearly dead inhalers when my diet slips).. It's not a quick fix or straightforward path but potentially the root of it all.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
In cases of food allergy such as Waftera describes a side effect of the bodies reaction can be to aggravate Asthma.
Unless you're suffering from a food allergy diet on it's own won't effect or limiting food wont help control Asthma.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In cases of food allergy such as Waftera describes a side effect of the bodies reaction can be to aggravate Asthma.
Unless you're suffering from a food allergy diet on it's own won't effect or limiting food wont help control Asthma.

... and therein lies the question; since there's a very significant correlation between allergies and asthma...

newts

Veteran
Asthma can be triggered by many things, allergic reaction, stress, reflux etc. Food intolerance may increase anxiety, which in turn may trigger an asthma attack.

tom73

Guru
Allergies alone are mind field and require both professional and suffer leg work. It's not been helped by the mass talk and reporting of allergies but mean intolerance. Believing the two are one and some
Equally asthma is complex and equally suffers from miss use of names and types. Asthma and COPD for example being seen as interchangeable.
So when the two combine it really gets a bit messy.

About Fostair
I noticed that a while ago when I picked up a new box of FOstair they always got it from the fridge

but then they stopped doing that

any idea why this changed

Also - I have noticed that when I get down to the last week or two of the puffer I start to get short of breath sometimes - notthing serious but I might have to use the blue puffer if I go out on my bike or go for a walk (starting exercise is a trigger for me)

When I start the new Fostair then all that stops - until I get to the last week or so again

anyone else find this - and does the fridge thing have anything to do with it

and should I talk to the pharmacist about this (answer to that bit is yes BTW)!

Top Bottom