Asthma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Had my first ever attack of asthma last night.

On a serious note, it was pretty alarming...but on a more positive note, I now I have my own inhaler!! Bearing in mind a disproportionate amount of pro cyclists are 'asthmatic' and use inhalers, does this mean I'm now a proper cyclist and will be able to fly up hills?

yenrod

WHATEVER YOU DO Cath DONT ENTER A PROFESSIONAL CYCLE RACE ! :wacko:

Otherwise you may find yourself with a little more than an Asthma attack.

I used to have Asthma: grew out of it - its a situation with the lungs innit !

Keith Oates

Janner
Bad luck Cathryn, I don't know much about it but I hope it's something that you can get over, which seems likely from what Yenners has written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonathan ellis

it may have been triggered by just 1 thing - mines is from bed bugs

theres shed loads of info on the uks asthma site (which i cant recall but google would show it 1st)

best have a few blasts at the bottom of the hills!

on a slightly more serious note there are stacks of different inhalers you can have - the one they gave you is the cheapest option...

domtyler

Über Member
jonathan ellis said:
on a slightly more serious note there are stacks of different inhalers you can have - the one they gave you is the cheapest option...

How can you tell that as she has not told us which one she has been given?

bonj2

i used to have asthma but cured myself of it. I was once wheezing in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep so went down the ozzy and it was shut, but the security guard said 'ere you can have this one if you like', producing a brown second hand inhaler from under the desk. It seemed to do the trick, even if only by placebo effect...

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
i used to have asthma but cured myself of it. I was once wheezing in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep so went down the ozzy and it was shut, but the security guard said 'ere you can have this one if you like', producing a brown second hand inhaler from under the desk. It seemed to do the trick, even if only by placebo effect...

You went to hospital during a medical emergency, it was shut but a security guard handed you prescription drugs?

peloquin

Ventolins are expensive nowadays. I paid £7.20 for mine 2days back :biggrin: but they are uber cool imo! You also get plus points for the sympathy vote from drivers, pedestrians and in job interviews :wacko:

Alun

Guru
Sorry to hear about your asthma, unfortunately ventolin never made me fly up hills. It could be caused by an allergy, I hadn't had an attack for years (and years) then I looked after 2 budgies for someone and back it came, but went again as soon as the birds went back. If you can find what triggers it, you might be able to avoid attacks. Good luck!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's the strangest thing, i've never been asthmatic before...i just felt tight-chested in the evening for the past few weeks but put it down to hayfever (which i still think it might be).

Yes, I got ventolin and yes it's expensive.

I have no idea what's triggered it...I hope it's not bed bugs (ooh). I do wonder if it might be related to an increased consumption of coffee...I've developed quite a coffee habit in the past month or so. Yesterday I steered clear of caffeine all day and didn't get any tight chestedness in the evening. Fluke??

mr Mag00

rising member
i developed it this winter and have to take an inhaler before exercise i do hope i can overcome it. i am wondering whether those instruments for developing lung strength may work. I actually had quite an experience on holiday whilst body boarding, it was proving difficult to get off shore due to the intensity of the waves and in the effort to get through them my asthma came on :evil: was quite unnerving as i didnt take it with me as i wasnt really expecting such a workout in the surf.

Have had asthma for 20 years, been cycling for 30, have just learned to deal with it, i.e. in the winter, I never go "full bore" straight away as this can set it off, and at the end of a winter ride, never come straight into warm indoors atmosphere, as that can also set me off.

Biggest plus nowadays, is the no smoking rule in pubs etc., used to make me wheeze for England.

Would agree with the bed bugs comments aswell.

Just remember, if you keep fit from cycling, you're almost certainly helping to keep it in check.

Having said all that, a serious attack can be frightening, if this does happen, just try and keep calm, and concentrate on breathing out (the natural reaction is to try and breathe in, when your lungs are probably already pretty full, which makes the situation worse.

Top Bottom