Astro Photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
or something's I have been doing since I have been away

Dave7

Legendary Member
or something's I have been doing since I have been away View attachment 518757
I got some good moon shots using a 300mm plus 2x converter and a 500 f4 plus 1.4x convertor. Surprising how small the aperture and how fast the shutter speed must be.
Nice atmosphere you have caught there Nigel

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
I should say, this is the Horse Head Nebula and the Flame Nebula, located just below the left star (the bright one you see) of Orions Belt.
It is composed of 60x60s exposures stacked in software, along with other exposures to compensate for sensor noise and and artefacts i.e. dust vignetting.
I got some good moon shots using a 300mm plus 2x converter and a 500 f4 plus 1.4x convertor. Surprising how small the aperture and how fast the shutter speed must be.
Nice atmosphere you have caught there Nigel
With the scope a Sky Watcher 200P 1000mm f/5, I am using about 1/200-1400th ISO 200-400 this between half a full.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It is composed of 60x60s exposures stacked in software, along with other exposures to compensate for sensor noise and and artefacts i.e. dust vignetting.

I understand bits of that but I'm also sure I don't understand the totality. ^_^

You clearly have a talent going on there. Is this at the expense of riding your bike?

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
I understand bits of that but I'm also sure I don't understand the totality. ^_^

You clearly have a talent going on there. Is this at the expense of riding your bike?
I have on;y really been at it since early March with earnest, clouds and computer issues aside, I g9ot the driven mount in March, before that limited to very short exposure, but still stacking.

If I remember right it was 30x1/4's exposures on a static mount.
This I got on the driven mount.

If you look you can just see a satellite track, since learned not to include those frames with tracks in (you can also get rid in software)
Since the assuault and break in back in 2017 I don't tend to venture out much, and circumstances have changed in that I am in a caring role (if needed) for ex, so if I go out it is usually with her shopping (current situation excepted), she is very high risk, COPD, asthma diabetic with a heart issue, she had a spinal infection in 2017 and came out of hospital in the Sept.
Part of the reasaon I got the telescope, apart from it was cheap on ebay, but the mount was damaged a little, but the level of the mount wasn't really up to the job of astro photography, I invested in a new one one level up, (a bit like cycling and groupsets really) could get one of these for the same price Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 Groupset (11 Speed) and I won't go into the issues of getting connected with a computer, sorry wondering, part of these reason there is a very close conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn on the 21/12 just over 6" of arc apart happens this close about ever 3-400 years, though conjunctions happen about every 20 years, yes I know it will be cloudy as it has been for the last two conjunctions of Venus and M45 the
Pleiades, this one happens every 8 years, last was 2012 and both that and this were cloudy, but clear either days before and after, this I got the day before, with what is basically a 300mm lens.

and a picture of Jupiter, which is captured in a slightly different way .

and Saturn the same mourning, just before sunrise, moon wasn't far away, and there was a lot of turbulence

I need to work on the technique before Dec, but this was my very first attempt at this technique..

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
The furthest thing I have knowingly captured is a galaxy some 1,000 million light years away, it is really only a smudge in the frame, but there is a website that will show all objects in an image.

To put it into context, since the dawn of our solar system, there would have only been time for 2 radio messages each way, providing there is a civilisation in that galaxy to respond. M52 is merely 23 million l.y. away.
I think I will just pop there on the bike till the current situation passes, the other is a tad far i think.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It is, isnt it. But think about it - you are photographing a pale-coloured surface that is bathed in full sunlight; it’s like photographing a desert scene in daylight. Sure there’s a bit of atmospheric filtering and some inverse-square losses, but it is still a bright object - it just happens to be surrounded most often by dark.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
It is, isnt it. But think about it - you are photographing a pale-coloured surface that is bathed in full sunlight; it’s like photographing a desert scene in daylight. Sure there’s a bit of atmospheric filtering and some inverse-square losses, but it is still a bright object - it just happens to be surrounded most often by dark.
It is the reason there are no stars in the images shot on the moon, the exposure is to short to record them, it what these people who claim there are no stars in the shots forget, or more likely don't know, it was cited on that daft program "Loose Women" once claimed, the thing people believe such s***, that comes out of peoples mouths in potions like that.
Here is another daft one, look up the messages under Nibiru on youtube, I have from time to time tried to make them understand, what they cliam as second suns photographed on mobile or cheap (low quality) optics are just reflections/refraction/flare in the lens, the last one went on some, till I showed I what I record and have never seen such a thing, he still thinks I am an unbeliever, dam right I see stuff so far away they can't even contemplate the distances, anyway he shut up after the last set of messages.

M57 remnants of a star that has thrown off its outer layers of gas, you can just see the star in the centre. there is also a faint galaxy about half past 1 as you look at the ring, and just above and left of the brightest orange star in the same direction, but it is a smudge, if I remember right about 500 million l.y.
M57 is a really small object to capture, I have never seen it visually and whilst the image isn't very good, I was pleased to have recorded it, if only to say finally yes it's there. I used the 1,000mm f/5 scope with a kenko 1.4x converter making it a 1,400mm f/7

Top Bottom