Astronomical telescope

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I am looking for help from the amateur astronomers on here.
Long story short, we had been told my late step father had a telescope, but we had never seen it. - He died around 10 years ago, but apart from certain parts of the house Mum used regularly, many areas were untouched since his death.
Because Mum can no longer live on her own, my sister and I have recently been clearing out her house and among other places, I got the garage to do and came across the telescope, still in its original box, polystyrene etc and with a wooden tripod.
According to the instruction leaflet, it is a Mizar model H-100. Focal length 1000mm with three eye pieces; 18mm (x55), 8mm (x125) and 5mm (X200). There is also a 30mm (x10) finderscope. The leaflet says the collecting power for the naked eye is x204.
From my research this appears to be quite an old telescope, (mid 80s), although so far as I can see, the telescope itself it is in pristine condition. The tripod has a little corrosion on the band which holds the telescope, but that can easily be rectified.
A couple of questions:
Firstly, can someone give me some guidance about the standard of the telescope; beginner, mid range, decent, etc.
Secondly, some idea of value. - I appreciate it is how much someone is prepared to pay, but my sister is keen to put it on ebay. I have concerns about this route.
I am also inclined to pay Mum for it, to keep either for occasional viewing, or as a piece of furniture, but wouldn't want to underpay her for it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know zero about them but googled it and came up with this link.
Seems like it was a well liked model.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/407804-mizar/

Top Bottom