Astronomy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I remember finding a dark site with a friend of mine who'd just bought a second hand cassegrain telescope sonwe could watch Hale-Bopp. That was one hell of a sight. 1996ish?

Saturn's in quite a visible position at the moment, and is impressive with a moderate telescope.
Hah, I has a similar experience after some alcohol had been consumed and while walking home we realised how clear it was and decided it was a good idea to dig out the telescope out so we could peer at Jupiter.

As well as Saturn, Jupiter is up at the moment and even with something as simple as good binoculars you can see the moons. For some reason that never ceases to inspire awe in me and amazes anyone who is prepared to sit out in the cold with me while I set the telescope up ^_^

Its expensive though, if someone is interested I always recommend some binoculars to start with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-Skymaster-Porro-Binoculars/dp/B00008Y0VN

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
if you set of now at the speed of light you'll be there in about 50 years...

Try 2.5 million years . . . !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I remember finding a dark site with a friend of mine who'd just bought a second hand cassegrain telescope sonwe could watch Hale-Bopp. That was one hell of a sight. 1996ish?

Didn't see Hale-Bopp with anything other than my eyes... but blimey it was a beautiful sight and more than made up for the persistent cloud that blocked my only chance to see Haley's comet (which if i had seen, would have been boring in comparison).

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have just sold my telescope for the lack of use, I live in a flat and I had to travel 10 miles round trip to a dark site it's a shame as it is a great thing to get into.

P1060002.jpg
moon.jpg

I have been seriously considering getting a decent telescope as there is very little light pollution were we are in the dales, just not sure about the amount needed to buy something that would give good results and get used over and over as opposed to something poor that would be used once and cady aside, all whilst not spending a fortune on something that could turn onto a white elephant regardless!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have been seriously considering getting a decent telescope as there is very little light pollution were we are in the dales, just not sure about the amount needed to buy something that would give good results and get used over and over as opposed to something poor that would be used once and cady aside, all whilst not spending a fortune on something that could turn onto a white elephant regardless!

Some years back I decided to treat myself to a telescope, a bit of an indulgence really and though I've not used it a lot I'm really glad I got it. My circumstances were that living in a city it had to be genuinely portable so I took it with me on weekends away. I bought a very high quality 4" appo refractor. If I had dark skies at home I'd have bought an 8 or 10" newtonian. Newtonians are I gather by far the best bang for your buck. Apparently these are inherently better optically and certainly a lot cheaper than the compact and more portable schmidt-cassegrains from Celestron and Meade. On thing though is to budget a goodly sum on the tripod, maybe as much as on the telescope. This sounds silly, but having tried to make do, I ended up buying a really good tripod in the end and it was very much worth it. Remember to budget for a couple of good eyepieces too.

Having said that, some of the Dobsonian mounted newtownians do look like amazing value for money. I've not used them but basicially you have to nudge the scope round to the target rather than twiddling the knobs. Dunno how tricky this is. Might be a cheap way to get a biggish scope and see if you want to spend more.

Anyway, in your shoes I'd look at 8 or 10 newtonian from a respected make, either dobsonian or proper tripod according to budget. Keep a few hundred for a couple of good eyepieces, or if you've got the dosh £1500 for 3 or four super dooper eyepieces.

Some years back I decided to treat myself to a telescope, a bit of an indulgence really and though I've not used it a lot I'm really glad I got it. My circumstances were that living in a city it had to be genuinely portable so I took it with me on weekends away. I bought a very high quality 4" appo refractor. If I had dark skies at home I'd have bought an 8 or 10" newtonian. Newtonians are I gather by far the best bang for your buck. Apparently these are inherently better optically and certainly a lot cheaper than the compact and more portable schmidt-cassegrains from Celestron and Meade. On thing though is to budget a goodly sum on the tripod, maybe as much as on the telescope. This sounds silly, but having tried to make do, I ended up buying a really good tripod in the end and it was very much worth it. Remember to budget for a couple of good eyepieces too.

Having said that, some of the Dobsonian mounted newtownians do look like amazing value for money. I've not used them but basicially you have to nudge the scope round to the target rather than twiddling the knobs. Dunno how tricky this is. Might be a cheap way to get a biggish scope and see if you want to spend more.

Anyway, in your shoes I'd look at 8 or 10 newtonian from a respected make, either dobsonian or proper tripod according to budget. Keep a few hundred for a couple of good eyepieces, or if you've got the dosh £1500 for 3 or four super dooper eyepieces.
I was looking at maybe something lile this
SKY WATCHER SKYLINER 200P 203MM (8") F/1200 PARABOLIC DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was looking at maybe something lile this
SKY WATCHER SKYLINER 200P 203MM (8") F/1200 PARABOLIC DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE

With the BIG caveat that I have never used a dobsonian, that does genuinely seem like a stonkingly good piece of kit for the money and would be the ki d of thing I'd consider if I lived somewhere dark. Even though it seems stupidly cheap reviews are pretty good and it does seem to have sound optics. No doubt you'd end up spending a good bit more again on eyepieces in due course.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For the dobsonian I'd try and have a look at one and carefully check that the movement is smooth as you have to point the thing by nudging (I believe) so if it's not smooth you'll never point it at anything. Some dobs claim telfon bearings for instance. Also check the focusser is smooth. Again you don't want to nudge the scope whilst focussing. Coarse and fine focussing is v desirable. For comparison I paid nearly £200 for an upgraded focusser for my refractor. "A "crawford" focusser is the word to look for. Not sure if it is a brand or just a type.

Top Bottom