Asus Eee 900

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

red_tom

The new version of the popular Eee has it's 1st review out. Looks great and they seem to have ironed out most of the minor issues with the first one (well, battery life is still a little low but you can't have everything...)

Don't a couple of people on here have one of the first models?

twowheelsgood

I have a 4GB 701 in black and it's fab. The best piece of techie kit I've bought in a decade.

I'm not a compulsive upgrader. It's mainly used as an internet radio so ironically, the new model without the forward facing speakers next to the screen might actually be a step backwards for me.

I also get 3 -3.25hours out of the battery (in WinXP with the wireless on), so the bigger screen clearly comes at a price.

I might look again in 18months or so when the new faster performing but lower power CPUs are avaiable. It's certainly crying-out for Intel's new atom along with an OLED screen. 7 or so hours would make this the perfect portable device.

It's interesting that they talk about the Psion series 5. In a way Psion created a tool so useful that it ultimately doomed itself as the usual conveyor-belt of consumer electronic updates didn't really apply. 15 hours on 2*AA was nothing to be sneezed at either. I'm tempted to dig mine out and see how long it'll go on a couple of new 2800mAh cells. Should top 20 I reckon.

It's worht noting that the review is actually wrong, the chassis is slightly bigger than the 700 series.

yello

twowheelsgood said:
I have a 4GB 701 in black and it's fab.

I have the white one and agree, it's a great little gadget. I don't store anything important on it (probably never will) because I'm dicking around with linux and, achem, occasionally cock it up and have to reinstall it all... which is a 30 second operation.

I was away for a couple of weeks and took it with me, used Skype to have video calls with the misses and it didn't miss a beat. I mainly use it for web browsing, and playing with linux. Best gadget I've bought in ages!

I've no interest in the 900, the 701 does all I need.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
red_tom said:
The new version of the popular Eee has it's 1st review out. Looks great and they seem to have ironed out most of the minor issues with the first one (well, battery life is still a little low but you can't have everything...)
Hey that looks great! I'd been thinking of getting one of them because I liked the idea of the original Eee but was put off by the limited screen resolution.

In the end I decided that I needed something a bit larger and picked up a new Dell D430 for £420. It is still pretty small and light (A4 in size, an inch thick, weighs about 3.5 pounds) which is important for me because I'll be carrying it on public transport.

The Eee got me interested in Linux, so I'm planning to install that on the Dell and make the laptop dual-bootable (current OS being XP Pro).

If I had the money, I'd buy an Eee as well...

Top Bottom