Asus EEE PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

Anyone here bought one?

Opinions are most welcome. Is it really as cool as it looks to be for "on the road" computing? Is it powerful enough? I really want Santa to bring one but sadly it's not on sale here yet.

I can't help thinking that given a bigger screen to fill out the lid (not make it bigger) and a better keyboard, this is exactly the sort of product Apple should be making (Asus I understand actually make some Apple Notebooks).

red_tom

If the rumour mill is to be believed, Apple are brining out a new super thin and light laptop in the new year (probably announced at MacWorld San Francisco in January)

I saw one of the EEE PC's in Toys 'r' us at the weekend. The screen is pretty small. Didn't get a chance to play around with it though.

I'm tempted to see what people can do with the itouch once the software development kit is released. You got a nice little wifi unit there, with no stupid iphone lock in contract. It just depends whther you can get along with the touch screen typing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Funny, I was at a friend's last night and he was recommending them to another friend, who wants something just as an electronic typewriter for working on the train etc... I'm a bear of little electronic brain, so I didn't take it all in...

Carwash

Señor Member
ajevans said:
But it depends on what you will be using it for on whether it will be powerful enough.

If you have Internet access and a decent-spec machine at home/work then this shouldn't really be much of an issue - surely VNC is the killer app for the EEE PC?!

OP
OP
twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

red_tom said:
If the rumour mill is to be believed, Apple are brining out a new super thin and light laptop in the new year (probably announced at MacWorld San Francisco in January)

I saw one of the EEE PC's in Toys 'r' us at the weekend. The screen is pretty small. Didn't get a chance to play around with it though.

I'm tempted to see what people can do with the itouch once the software development kit is released. You got a nice little wifi unit there, with no stupid iphone lock in contract. It just depends whther you can get along with the touch screen typing.

I looked seriously into ipod touch and even iphone and it's clear that it would have had real potential if it wasn't for Apple's bloody business practices, we'l see how that changes with the SDK. Basically they do everything they can to avoid getting data onto the phone without going through sodding itunes. That means no downloads from the browser, no SD card slot (the single worst feature by far) and knobbled bluetooth, which kills the deal for me. To me the nokia n810 would be more to my needs but I don't think it's there as a platform yet - one to watch though.

As for the Apple compact, from what I read, it still strikes me as too big and tries to do too much. Cool kids don't use optical drives anymore. Of course it will also be around $2000, which kind of takes the edge off a road trip when you are terrified of theft or breakage.

When will someone marry Apple-style UI with the openess of Linux????? Then we can kiss both MS and Apple goodbye.

Bokonon

Über Member
I've got an RM re-badged educational version on order, but its not due to arrive until early January. I'll then have to fight my office mates to get to play on it.

Again rumour mill......

There is talk of a Windows version next year.

I use a handheld with memory cards and Memory-Map whilst touring. This machine does not deal with this facility.

With a Windows system it will be more expensive, although I suspect cost can be kept down if a basic setup is used and "Open Office" retained.

Brock

Yeah I got one and love it, in fact I'm using it now. It's plenty powerful enough for most things short of serious graphical work and games...Manual comes with instructions for installing XP if you really want windows. Keyboard is fine for speedy touch typing, and it fits in the barbag. I'm well chuffed with mine :smile:

Top Bottom