ATC 2000 Archos 404 comparison

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First off, thanks to BentMikey for hosting these files for me!;) They won't be permanent links but for the moment they provide a nice comparison.

Here are some comparison videos, which are almost raw (high quality wvm) for comparison. Please note they were not filmed on the same day. In fact they are in slightly different tunnels (one is north, the other south!), however, they are very comparable and demonstrate quite nicely the different low light capabilities.

ATC2000 http://www.londonskaters.com/training/clyde_tunnel_atc.wmv

Archos 404 http://www.londonskaters.com/training/clyde_tunnel_august07_archos.wmv

I will try and put both helmet cameras on at the same time (I will look a right muppet!) at some point to allow a direct comparison, however, for the time being this gives a good idea of their capabilities.

What do you think?

One note of caution; today the archos crashed on me when I went to look at todays footage and the file appeared to be corrupt. Hopefully this is just a one off, but I will keep you informed.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
In fact they are in slightly different tunnels (one is north, the other south!)

<pedant> They're either the same tunnel, or different tunnels. They can't be slightly different tunnels in that respect.

The conditions in them could be slightly different.

</pedant>;)

That light level certainly seems better with the Archos... It's the name you know, bound to be better, it's got Arch in it...:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
<pedant> They're either the same tunnel, or different tunnels. They can't be slightly different tunnels in that respect.

The conditions in them could be slightly different.

</pedant>:biggrin:

That light level certainly seems better with the Archos... It's the name you know, bound to be better, it's got Arch in it...:biggrin:

Ooooooh!! :sad:
<superpendant>

Actually... I said slightly different because I didn't want to get into the details. To be precise fact they are contained within the same tunnel, the Clyde Tunnel. This tunnel includes a section for cars (above cyclists heads) and two partitioned sections for cyclists/pedestrians, with one supposed to north bound and the other southbound. More details are here http://www.holdyourbreath.org/facts/facts.html
</superpedant>

So now you know;):biggrin:

I say supposed to be north and southbound because I often find cyclists heading through the wrong way. Not particularly safe when you can have a combined speed of 60mph with little room to pass :angry::biggrin: or when you have a moped coming towards you ;):sad::ohmy:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Nice to see that other people puff and pant away as much as I do when I'm on the bike :biggrin:

I was always worried that if I got a helmet cam, it'd pick up the heavy breathing....;) No need to worry now - heh heh.

Magnatom, that's a long tunnel and - I'd imagine - quite scary and not the kind of thing you'd want to ride through late at night when there may be gangs of Neds in there up to no good ?

col

Legendary Member
I found the archos better with light and crispness too,and i had a little giggle also ,when i saw the way the other cyclist joined the road in front of you:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Nice to see that other people puff and pant away as much as I do when I'm on the bike :biggrin:

I was always worried that if I got a helmet cam, it'd pick up the heavy breathing....:sad: No need to worry now - heh heh.

It's a really steep tunnel you know :biggrin::sad:

Of course you would be impressed with how quickly I recover!!;)

Magnatom, that's a long tunnel and - I'd imagine - quite scary and not the kind of thing you'd want to ride through late at night when there may be gangs of Neds in there up to no good ?

I've gone through there for over 2 years now and in that time I would say I have come across gangs maybe two or three times. They have never bothered with me apart from shouting as I go by. It looks a lot worse than it is, although I think to encourage others to use it more it needs some CCTV in the tunnel. No luck with the council so far :angry:.

The real pain about that tunnel is the glass. As soon as it gets cleared away more appears. I wouldn't go through there with anything less than Marathon Pluses!

goo_mason

Yep - Marathon Plus tyres are what keep me sailing speedily along the glass-strewn cycle path to and from work, with nary a care in the world.

Anyway - back on track. The video was very impressive on the Archos. Well worth the money, I'd say - especially when you get to do other cool things with it like watch film, listen to music, and possibly hear the sweet sound of my voice as I witter between tracks on the podcast ;)

(I know, shameless self-promotion again; have a look at the magazine too sometime !)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Anyway - back on track. The video was very impressive on the Archos. Well worth the money, I'd say - especially when you get to do other cool things with it like watch film, listen to music, and possibly hear the sweet sound of my voice as I witter between tracks on the podcast ;)

My problem is finding the time to do these things. I wouldn't listen to music on the bike (or watch a video for that matter!)

Tell you what. Tell me what your best podcast was and will download it and have a listen!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
The Archos makes that tunnel look slightly less gloomy than the old cam but I still wouldn't want to cycle it.

It isn't that bad, honest! In fact looking at the new videos I think it reminds me of the launch tubes from Battlestar Galactica! :biggrin:

OK, I'm not going quite that fast....;)

goo_mason

magnatom said:
My problem is finding the time to do these things. I wouldn't listen to music on the bike (or watch a video for that matter!)

Tell you what. Tell me what your best podcast was and will download it and have a listen!

Now you're asking - I'm just recording no.104 so there are too many to choose from ! Tell you what - tell me what music you like and I'll try and recommend one that fits your style. You might like to try the double-length show 100, which has a bit of everything in it as it features listeners' favourite tracks from the first 100 shows. You don't even need to download to listen - there's a player on the right of the show's page - click on show 100 in there and it'll play so you can listen as you do other things on the PC !

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'll give no. 100 a go and let you know how I get on!

My musical tastes are quite eclectic, however at the moment the CD in my player at home (when I can get my sons nursery rhymes CD out!) is Muse: Absolution and I have always loved Pink Floyd, so I suppose you could call me a lover of 'alternative hard rock'. You wouldn't know that by looking at me, I almost look normal!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Goo,

Just to say I had a listen to one of your podcasts (100) and I enjoyed it. If fit quite well with my eclectic taste!

I especially liked the song by globus, very different.

I will subscribe and I will try and make the time to listen.

My only criticism is that some bloke keeps interrupting the music with inane chatter......:ohmy::biggrin:

goo_mason

magnatom said:
Hi Goo,

Just to say I had a listen to one of your podcasts (100) and I enjoyed it. If fit quite well with my eclectic taste!

I especially liked the song by globus, very different.

I will subscribe and I will try and make the time to listen.

My only criticism is that some bloke keeps interrupting the music with inane chatter......:ohmy::biggrin:

I know - he's a boring sod and sometimes I wish he'd just quit blethering and get on with it. Mind you, my American listeners really love him so I guess he stays :biggrin:

Top Bottom