attaching a beach windbreak to a roof rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
we bought a new one last year but its too big to fit in the roof box :sad:
would zip tie`s be strong enough to hold it on for 200 miles each way on the motorway or just get one with shorter poles ?

we bought a new one last year but its too big to fit in the roof box :sad:
would zip tie`s be strong enough to hold it on for 200 miles each way on the motorway or just get one with shorter poles ?

I'd not use zip ties. You can get fabric cargo straps that you can cinch down really tight. I'd get a few of them and check for tightness after a few miles. I've used them to carry kayaks with no issues. Maybe bung some padding round the windbreak that you can compress with the straps and it won't be going anywhere.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Make sure the windbreak is inside some kind of close fitting storage "sock". If it isn't, the windstream will work the fabric loose as you drive along.

Hicky

Guru
Done it loads of times from Rochdale to Vendee, as long as you tie them down suitably it should be fine. Just check them at comfort breaks as with anything strapped to the car.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i can buy a smaller one for around £10, might be worth just getting another one rather than mucking about with straps.
Given Mrs ck likes to take enough stuff on hols for a month even when going for a week i struggle for space as it is ,Its a holiday next to a beach and we might go 3 times but i have to take....
tent
4 chairs
windbreak
picnic blankets
buckets and spades
chill box
then dont get me started on clothes and the contents of the cupboardds i mean wtf we can buy food when we get there the supermarket is like 5 min drive away !!
just bought one of those foldable beach trolleys to help cart stuff after my operation as i dont want to be lumping too much stuff

D

Deleted member 26715

then dont get me started on clothes and the contents of the cupboardds i mean wtf we can buy food when we get there the supermarket is like 5 min drive away !!
This is the one that gets me too, I understand taking a few things like tea, coffee, even a prepared Saturday evening meal, Sunday breakfast maybe, but beyond that it's just extra stuff to lug down/up there.

Top Bottom