Attacked by a dog on the way home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
A snarling ball of rage in the form of a small Border Collie that latched onto my foot as I passed it.

It was on a lead, but it was on one of the quiet country lanes and I surprised it (and the owner) as I rounded a bend quite quickly.
I should've picked up on the warning signs as the Woman screamed at the dog in terror as soon as she saw me and frantically started trying to wind it in but, it was too late by then as I was upon them.

Still, no harm done, the dog grabbed a mouthfull of M520 and cycling shoe which were flailing round at a fair old lick, and very quickly let go again :laugh:

Matty

I would have kicked it one, normally stops them.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I was too surprised to respond!

In fairness, it was a very desolate lane, very few people use it and it was on a lead (albeit a long one) and I did approach them silently and at speed.
Ok, if I'd been with my family then I'd have been exceedingly angry but then, if I had been with them, we wouldn't have been approaching in silence at over 20mph so I doubt it would've happened in the first place.

I'm a huge dog lover, so aggression on my part would be a last resort although if it had put so much as a scratch on my new carbon bike, it would've been kicked to a mush without hesitation :laugh:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Pah! thats nothing. I do far less x-country running than I used to but dogs and their idiot owners are the bane of my life. Ive been bitten 5 times, licked them in rage 3 times, had numerous arguments with the emotional retards who cant control their mutts and had a tetnous jab in the arse to avoid potential rabies twice.

Shoot em all ( the owners that is)

:angry:

gavintc

Guru
Pah! thats nothing. I do far less x-country running than I used to but dogs and their idiot owners are the bane of my life. Ive been bitten 5 times, licked them in rage 3 times, had numerous arguments with the emotional retards who cant control their mutts and had a tetnous jab in the arse to avoid potential rabies twice.

I am quite sure that this must have really surprised them. Not a typical dog handling trick - but if it works!
rolleyes.gif

Glow worm

Legendary Member

I'm not at all keen on dogs. All that crapping all over pavements and rolling about in it they do- just horrendous. They crap all over our allotments too which is a bloomin' nightmare. And the licking- their arse then your face business - uuurrrrgh. They're a bit of a menace for cyclists around here too- especially with them long retractable leads that are so popular nowadays. I suspect the owners take some kind of weird pleasure from trying to off cyclists with these things. The only solution is to slow right down and sometimes stop until the obstale is removed. Trouble is the filthy creatures often try to take a chunk out of your leg when you stop- in those situations I agree it's best to whack'em!

I am quite sure that this must have really surprised them. Not a typical dog handling trick - but if it works!
rolleyes.gif
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Last week I had an encounter with a dog, I was on the trike on a shared path doing a test ride with a customer and came upon a family with a big floppy labrador thing which was all over the path, we stopped and the dog sauntered over, promptly clambered onto my lap, laid its head on my shoulder and went to sleep, I was too gobsmacked to say a word, kids thought it was cute, parents and customer thought it was hilarious. I then started moving just to see what the dog would do and the damn animal didn't move, after 100 yards it perked up, licked my face and jumped off to run back to the family, it was really bizarre, thing must have molting as well as I had a golden mohair style shirt by then as well.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
OMFG!!

, licked them in rage 3 times, had numerous arguments with the emotional retards who cant control their mutts and had a tetnous jab in the arse to avoid potential rabies twice.

Most aren't retards (although a small minority are admittedly), a lot of people get dogs and then have to learn how to handle them (there's no such thing as dog school ......well, ok, there is, but its entirely voluntary and is not universally copied over the country - just think about it being like starting to cycle, you only get experience through actually doing it) and even then, a dog will always be a dog no matter how much experience and training you have, just as a kid will always be a kid.
Even the very best dog and kid will have their day!

Dogs are animals, not small people, they will not act like humans, the sooner folk realise that the better!

Also, I trust you meant to say kicked??
It is quite simple, if you kick my dog needlessly, then I will kick you, got it? (I have already gotten into a fight with some twat who did it to my previous dog Bruno for no reason other than he was being freindly - Bruno was a therapet and went into the local old folks home, so he was as sound as a pound and just harmlessly doing what he always did around people. The idiot wasn't on a bike or anything, he just did purely for the hell of it and he got charged with assault by the way, so watch it, I wont hesitate to act where I need to).

No, just shoot the ones who never learn, a bit like bad cyclists and bad drivers, they help make people like you write such retarded black and white tosh about how we are all the same and how we should all be shot etc etc blah de f**king blah.
Don't be a runon!! :laugh:

I'm not at all keen on dogs. All that crapping all over pavements and rolling about in it they do- just horrendous. They crap all over our allotments too which is a bloomin' nightmare. And the licking- their arse then your face business - uuurrrrgh.

Actually, cats and foxes often are just as much to blame, and I always have bio bags with me and pick up after Cindy (unless she has 'dire rear' and I can't - it's like trying to pick up pish in some cases). I tell you, cold poo is FAR worse than warm!:hello:

As for the bum licking, I'll admit I have never let either of mine lick me, but that is just down to basic hygiene and seeing what they eat in the street as a pose to just bum licking (they don't do it all the time anyway).

Besides, see if it wasn't for dogs, the streets would be MORE dirtier, as they help to clear away discarded food (although they aren't so good with the packaging admittedly :biggrin: ).

Yep, it never ceases to amaze me what people just throw away, seriously!

They're a bit of a menace for cyclists around here too- especially with them long retractable leads that are so popular nowadays.

I do try to keep a look out for cyclists and so on, but sometimes you just get get caught out, the same as anyone does doing anything, we are only human after all. Luckily Cindy doesn't wander too far, so I don't have many problems, and the fact she only has 3 legs often acts as a slight distraction anyway! (3 legged staffies seemigly are not at all common).

I suspect the owners take some kind of weird pleasure from trying to off cyclists with these things.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That's all I can say to that ....well, ok, maybe some of the 'I hate cyclists' brigade might, but most WONT!

In short, that is like a moton saying that ALL cyclists are out to annoy ALL other road users. It's clearly a load of CRAP (pardon the bio bagged pun).

Trouble is the filthy creatures often try to take a chunk out of your leg when you stop- in those situations I agree it's best to whack'em!

I see plenty of filthy creatures on bikes too, eminently more filthy than some dogs I have to add, and I most certainly WOULDN'T want any of them to bite me!

No, in Cindy's case (and the majority or other dogs I've seen), she just wants to see things and have a little sniff, but being on the lead I'd get her out of the way asap anyway so she wouldn't get much of a chance.

Knowing that she isn't going to bite you and it was quite clear that she wont, If you STILL went out of your way to kick her, I'd give you a swift kick in return, simples. I am acting on the situation so any kick would be needless.

Dog are dogs, they aren't people! why do you think they will act like so??
In fact, about the only people they are like would be autists.

At the end of the day though, there isn't really any such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner. It's like kids - bring them up the wrong way, then, what do you expect?

crankyhorse

I find it's the small dogs that have a go.

A Westy escaped it's owner a week or two ago and ran at me yapping away. I stopped and patted it's head. It was happy at the outcome and shut up. The owner was more distressed than either me or the dog.

I also got chased by a small brown rat thing with a muzzle on. It was both funny and disturbing at the same time. The owner didn't seem to care. I suspect it was his wifes dog and he was hoping it would get mangled in the spokes.

Top Bottom