*** Attention carbon steerer owners !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I discovered that my FSA stem had crushed the top of my carbon RockShox SID WC last week. And entirely by chance discovered this today.

I particularly liked this passage: Note that on components like a stem, the torque value printed on the part is the torque that the bolt and threads can withstand, not what the part being clamped underneath can withstand. Parts should only ever be torqued to the minimum amount of force that is necessary to keep the part from moving.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Thanks for this. Very interesting, and a good point made.

buddha

Veteran
Thanks from me too.
I'm off to jiggle my stem and get some friction paste (That doesn't sound right, does it?:biggrin:)

redddraggon

Blondie
mickle said:
I particularly liked this passage: Note that on components like a stem, the torque value printed on the part is the torque that the bolt and threads can withstand, not what the part being clamped underneath can withstand. Parts should only ever be torqued to the minimum amount of force that is necessary to keep the part from moving.

TBH I thought that was general knowledge and just plain common sense :biggrin:

Hi to mickle and all of you out there.This sounds like a well thought out disclaimer (in disguise)before the event.Maybe there is a lot of sense in sticking to older and proven products,cro-moly & alloy(relatively bullet proof).Is Carbon a worthwhile pose/status symbol for the saving on weight against the more dependable old school products?and in particular in areas of critcal/life threatening locations.Having a wheel collapse is bad enough but having the possibility of bars in you hands connected to fresh air is like the steering wheel of a car becoming detached because of a sheared steering column.OH FLUCK.Happy & Safe Riding to You All.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Aluminum was a problematic material before manufacturers got their collective heads around it, Viscount Aerospace forks anyone? Carbon fibre composite construction is the future, this is just a blip on the learning curve.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
In the meantime, avoid hills and don't put any undue pressure on your steering gear
;-)

Top Bottom