Auction: 1986 Raleigh Team, 21" frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It is with a heavy heart this goes on eBay, start price £60:

My 1986 Raleigh Team which has been posted about on here a few times. There's a record of maintenance at MyCyclingLog, it's been good but needs must and downsizing is essential in the short term.

$_57.JPG

Text from the eBay advert:

A 1986 Raleigh Team road bike - size Medium / 21" or 54cm frame - in original condition with the only changes from original being a replacement NOS rear derailleur, replacement Iscaselle saddle, new Cane Creek brake hoods and changed wheels (originals supplied). Original pedals replaced by more modern ones.

New chain and gear cables fitted March 2015.

Eligible for L'Eroica Britannia as it has shifters on the downtube.

Now the Raleigh Team isn't a pushy bike. It won't be shoving it's way to the front of the start line at L'Eroica. However, it'll be at the finish whilst the riders of those expensive Italian restorations are sat crying by the side of the road waiting for the broom wagon to collect them and their pile of bits.

It comes with an 18-23 steel frame. That's honest steel, none of your Columbus SLX nonsense. It's been used by me regularly over the past 18 months on my commute between Dewsbury and Leeds. It's been on club runs with those carbon-fibre wonders and has even been involved in some alleycat action (the less mentioned about this the better!).

Also, this Raleigh Team is almost 30 years old. I've had clip-on mudguards fitted to it for 18 months, with tape underneath to protect the frame. However, there are a myriad of tiny scratches and marks together with some surface rust on the frame - on the lower forks and one part of the rear triangle. It's been the same since 2013 and I decided not to get the frame re-painted; I prefer it to look original and then do its' stuff. The saddle has a tiny chip out near the nose and some of the chrome is pitted. The rear derailleur works but would benefit from further re-indexing.

I bought the Raleigh Team in mid-2013 after it had been stored for a number of years. The gear and brake cables were replaced, a replacement new saddle was fitted together with different bar tape and new brake hoods. New tyres and replacement wheels were also needed.

Why am I selling? I've too many bikes. Or so my wife says. I'm having to reduce them to fit in the space I've got available.

You are very welcome to view the bike before bidding.

Oh, and if you've got this far and are thinking "I would really prefer an exotic Italian vintage bike" then I'll have a 1986 Benotto Paris-Roubaix for sale shortly, also with a 21" frame but carbon cranks/fork. Yes, I succumbed to the dark side but have realised my foolishness and repented of my Italian purchase.

Features:
  • Frame: Reynolds 18-23 steel frame. Framesaver fitted on rear derailleur. Mudguard / rack mounts.
  • Fork: Steel carbon fork with mudguard mounts.
  • Front & Rear Derailleur: Sachs-Huret Eco. New old stock rear derailleur (04/90) fitted in 2014.
  • Number of Gears: 12
  • Shifters: downtube braze-on by Suntour
  • Brake levers: Weinmann with Cane Creek black brake hoods.
  • Chainset: Custom double
  • Chainrings: 52/42
  • Bottom Bracket: square taper
  • Cassette: 13-26 6-speed freewheel
  • Chain: Clarks anti-rust, fitted March 2015
  • Pedals: standard pedals fitted
  • Wheels: Rigida front and rear wheels. Rigida Chrolux fr 28 x 1"5/8 x 1"3/8 700c laced via 36 spokes to a week 12 year 91 Maillard bolted hub front rim. Rear is a 1990 Rigida 36 spoke rim with Raleigh hub.
  • Original wheels; Pelissier front wheel supplied. Pelissier rear is hub only, which was refurbished in 2013. Both require new rims and spokes.
  • Tyres: Michelin Dynamic 700x28c
  • Front & Rear Brake: Weinmann 500 with replacement pads fitted 2014
  • Handlebars: Custom bars and stem with blue bar tape, 1980's style.
  • Cables: blue outer gear and brake cables. New gear cables fitted March 2015.
  • Black bottle cage fitted 2014.
  • Saddle: Iscaselle with steel rails, fitted 2013.
  • Seatpost: Custom, Raleigh seatpost bolt
Collection [for delivery see below] from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire between J28 M62 and J40 M1 (near Wakefield / Leeds / Huddersfield / Bradford). Cash on collection preferred please.

Alternatively I'm happy to ride this to you, if preferred, as long as it's up to 20 miles and there's public transport back.

Delivery is possible by courier; cost £20.

Top Bottom