Audax and Sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

Not a stupid question at all....an Audax is a mass start ride with a minimum and maximum speed limit and there are no published finishing times and placings.....cyclosportives have a minium speed limit but no maximum and there is a published list of finishing times and placings....so clearly more competitive.

You also get Permanent Audaxes which are not massed start but you can do on your own between certain places like London-York for example.

Peter

An Audax is a lot cheaper ;)

Sportives are organised rides, fully signposted and a few feed stops, but allegedly not a race, even though most are timed.

Audax, are over longer distances (for the most) but at a far lesser pace than sportives. Also you will see mountain bikes participating and I think you have to navigate yourself.

Rob S

Depends on the distance...the longer it is the slower you can go (relatively speaking)....I think it's something like just under 10mph average but I would assume that's total time rather than moving time. Maximum is about 20mph average.

Noodley

Here's the official guide re speed:

(i) The minimum speeds may not be altered and shall be:
for events up to 699km - within the range 14.3 to 15kph;
for events from 700 to 1299 km - 13.3kph;
for events from 1300 to 1899 km - 12kph;
for events from 1900 to 2499 km - 10kph; and
for events over 2499 km, 200 km per day.
(ii) The maximum speed set by the organiser for the whole or any part of an event may be any speed up to 30kph. Minimum and maximum speeds will be noted in the Calendar.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The main difference is that a Sportive has a marked route and is marshalled, there are mostly mechanics on duty at several points should you get machine problems. In an Audax you get a route sheet sent to you before the start but you are then responsible for finding your own way round, there are no route markings. You are also expected to be self sufficient and be capable of sorting any bike problems yourself, there is no backup.

Audax also attracts a percentage of weirdos who foam at the mouth and shout at anyone whose bike is newer than 1955 and is not dressed tweeds. Sportives attract a percentage of people who think they are top class racers but who have never had the courage to pin a number on their backs and do it properly.

Peter

Smoking Joe;

Small percentages I hope :ohmy:
Most Sportive riders I know just do it for the challenge.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Noodley said:
Here's the official guide re speed:

(i) The minimum speeds may not be altered and shall be:
for events up to 699km - within the range 14.3 to 15kph;
for events from 700 to 1299 km - 13.3kph;
for events from 1300 to 1899 km - 12kph;
for events from 1900 to 2499 km - 10kph; and
for events over 2499 km, 200 km per day.
(ii) The maximum speed set by the organiser for the whole or any part of an event may be any speed up to 30kph. Minimum and maximum speeds will be noted in the Calendar.

This is only part of the story....

All the above rides are known as Brevet Randonneurs (BR)

Shorter rides aimed at the less able/beginners are usually 50, 100 and 150km long.and are called Brevet Populaire (BP). If the event is an organised one the lower speed limit can be as low as 8.3km/hr - I knopw of two v.hilly rides at this pace. Usually though 10, 12.5 and 15km/hr are chosen with 12.5 being the most popular. Of course one could ride at the faster pace of 30km/hr or anything inbetween.

Zoom

Über Member
Brevet Populaires often have a maximum speed of 25 kph; no idea why, perhaps to enable controllers to have to hang around less at controls...

Top Bottom