Audax Questions :))

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Depending on the length of the ride it is also worth considering a headtorch to read the routesheet if you anticipate riding at night. Also helpful for rummaging in packs etc on unlit lanes.
Also very useful for ...

1. Reading road signs.
  2. Seeing what you are doing if you have a puncture or other mechanical problem.
  3. Shining in the eyes of drivers who are dazzling you to tell them to dip their lights! I discovered that doing that and 'flicking' the head torch beam down led to 90% of them dipping.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Once you done a few audax events you should have a small collection of zip-seal plastic bags (organisers should hand them out with the brevet cards - ask if you don't receive one). They're ideal for keeping a routesheet dry. I use a Polaris map-trap - the sort secured with reusable zip-ties rather than the click-fit version.

Recently I've started using gps. I find it easiest to simply set a track. There's no turn warning, but a brief glance near junctions suffices. However, beware of tracks/routes downloaded. Check them. Even the organisers' own can be misleading.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As eck has said, you should get your routesheet a few days in advance.

Have a look at Googlemaps and I find it very useful to zoom right in to Street View to check what the junctions look like.
thumbsup.png

Enjoy your ride and let us know how you get on !

+1.

Oh, and following Banjo round is also a good idea, but not available at all Audaxes. And go light on the coffee cake, or you'll leave him behind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
However, beware of tracks/routes downloaded. Check them. Even the organisers' own can be misleading.
I always check them. I've seen tracklogs which include sections where it is clear that the original rider had got lost. (They had left in details of where they were meandering around back streets trying to get back on course.)

I've also seen a sportive tracklog where the rider had cut 10% off the route by taking shortcuts. (It shouldn't be possible to do that on a properly designed audax route since it should already be the shortest route between checkpoints.)

Tynan

Veteran
I think ColinJ promotes the relativelt bombproof EtrexH rather than preumably the more highly strung colouf ladedah models

My EtrexH has only two audaxes but it does radiate bombproof reliability I have to say

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Whilst I find mine much the same, don't ever leave it in a warm car if you care for the wellbeing of the rubber casing. Lose that, and its not even waterbomb proof.

Top Bottom