audax readiness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
REFINED NEW QN: silly of me to have been rather theoretical in the qn as first posted. What speeds are anticipated for the upcoming Southern Sportive 200k.

How does one register? Didcot CC website does not appear to be cooperative!;)

yello

gbs said:
route finding needs research and some thought.

When I started Audax, I used to register in advance (to get the route sheet in the post) and then follow the route on the map. I'd familiarise myself with the general direction, make a mental note of any tricky bits and generally get the hang of the instructions. These days, I might use Google maps to do the same thing, as it offers good detail and you can zoom in to the streets in towns etc where, generally speaking, turns might be more frequent.

NEW QN: what are typical minimum speeds for say a moderately hilly 200k route with say 2000m climb?

15kph I believe.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
re my last post 07:57: sorry, senior moment. I should have said Upper Thames 200k when requiring re min speeds.

yello

For Audaxs, you can usually get info from the Audax UK calender. The Upper Thames 200k is listed for instance, min speed 15kph.

The Southern Sportive you mention, I can only find (via google) a 155km event on the 13th Sept, and a reference to a 2009 event held by Didcot Pheonix CC.

jimboalee

PaulSB said:
I've only done one Audax but surely the whole point is to follow the route provided by the organiser. I don't understand this post, if one isn't going to take part fully why enter in the first place?

Before Audax UK was founded, there was 'Bicycle orienteering' which was much more fun and considerably more interesting.

The routesheet you were sent is a 'suggested' route so visiting cyclists from the other end of the country can use it as a guide.

As I said, there is NO rule which stipulates the routesheet must be adhered to.

Regulation 5.8 explains.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Before Audax UK was founded, there was 'Bicycle orienteering' which was much more fun and considerably more interesting.
Since Audax UK was founded, there still is 'Bicycle orienteering', both on and of road.

jimboalee

Tim Bennet. said:
Since Audax UK was founded, there still is 'Bicycle orienteering', both on and of road.

Not so popoular ( road ) now in the Midlands. Besides, AUK organisers have coffee and cake waiting.:thumbsup:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:

The routesheet you were sent is a 'suggested' route so visiting cyclists from the other end of the country can use it as a guide.

As I said, there is NO rule which stipulates the routesheet must be adhered to.

Regulation 5.8 explains.

Ah I see. So you're working on the principle the idea is to navigate to a series of points to complete the course as one does, I think, in orienteering? The actual route being, to some extent, irrelevant. That makes sense, I hadn't seen Audax as that type of event, mainly I suppose because I know little about it and its history.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
PaulSB said:
Ah I see. So you're working on the principle the idea is to navigate to a series of points to complete the course as one does, I think, in orienteering? The actual route being, to some extent, irrelevant. That makes sense, I hadn't seen Audax as that type of event, mainly I suppose because I know little about it and its history.
For most people it isn't. They follow the route.

jimboalee

Section 5 of AUK's 'Official' - 'Regulations' is a good read.

"5.1 AUK responsibility: AUK and organisers will be responsible only for indicating or agreeing control points to confirm that a participant has completed a predetermined distance (the event) within the allowed time."

This says the organiser need only issue the entrant with the position of the control points. A routesheet is an 'assistance'.

"5.8 Brevet Cards: Brevet Cards shall be used for all AUK events. These will be issued before an event. It is the responsibility of the rider to ensure the safe keeping of the card and that it is properly filled in at each control with arrival time, control stamp and the controller’s initials, or with the required information in the case of Information Controls. The Brevet Card is the sole means of proof that a ride has been completed. If any of the control details are missing a rider may submit a written explanation with the card. The Validation Secretary may then award the brevet if the explanation is considered reasonable."

This says a correctly completed Brevet card is the qualification for claiming success.

Now try to find "routesheet" in the regs or the handbook.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Organisers are issued with guidelines that include advice on how to prepare a routsheet.

jimboalee

Ian H said:
Organisers are issued with guidelines that include advice on how to prepare a routsheet.

Yup, Guidelines.

This is so an organiser in Durham will present a routesheet which is written in the same language as an organiser in Devon.

I suppose it depends on personality. Most ride Audax as a fully instructioned procession around the countryside, pleased with being able to understand the routesheet.

After fifteen years of it, I like to ride a different route to last year, and the year before; and the year before that.

To these ends, I ride more Midland Mesh and DIY because they are 'Free choice' of route. I have ridden twelve DIY 100s this season, and another on Tuesday, all different, along roads I have never ridden before.

I see them as a 'cycling adventure' and the calendar events with a routesheet to follow are becoming less exciting - if I don't devise my own route between controls.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Jimboalee can you explain for me what the Midland Mesh and DIY rides are? I think I can guess DIY but some info would be good all the same. I've become very bored with riding the same roads week in week out and I'm looking to find ways to make my rides in my home area more interesting.

Thanks

Top Bottom