Audax wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi does anyone have any views on these wheels I'm getting for long audaxs rides the tyres are supposed to be heavy likec450g but that shouldn't be an issue with the rest of the kit I'll be taken.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240226_194244_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240226_194244_eBay.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 37

Jameshow

Veteran
They will be fine but uninspiring. If you carrying lots of kit on a heavy bike then they will be fine. On a carbon / alu lightweight bike you would feel them tbh. I do anyway. Tyres make a big difference to 250gms race tyres are faster tbh.

But changing tubes with cold wet fingers is no fun DAMHIK!

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
That's what I thought with the weight I'm not convinced with going tubless at the moment for long rides I still rather the innertubes not so much mess.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't tell from the pics.

For audax you want reliable. Or in my case, generally get reliable wheels. Tyres do make a speed difference, at the expense of flat protection.

I've never bothered with tubeless, just don't get enough flats, even with commuting on glass strewn surfaces.

Never had any issues with most factory wheels TBH (i.e. off the shelf) including straight pull. My CX bike came specced with straight pull front and 2/1 spokes on the rear, one side straight pull, but, credit due, they did the previous owner great for 10 years, and I've got the bike now, and gave a quick true up, and bearing change.

Personally I'd get handbuilt if you an or some built u wheels from the likes of Merlin/SJS etc.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi does anyone have any views on these wheels I'm getting for long audaxs rides the tyres are supposed to be heavy likec450g but that shouldn't be an issue with the rest of the kit I'll be taken.
You asked for views.
What is this "rest of the kit I'll be taking"? For a 200/300 I carry maybe a pound more (of food) cf a normal ride.
For a 400 and 600, maybe an extra few pounds. But in system weight this is small beer.
The Kenda tyres will add rolling resistance for every one of those long audax hours, moving you that bit closer to full value.
Assume: https://road.cc/content/review/4351-kenda-kwick-roller-700x28c-tyre
Or maybe: https://sportandleisure.com/product...1018-700-x-28c-tyre-k-shield-protection-black
I assume you are on 11sp drive train. I'd want to be sure the freehub on those was 11sp (I suspect it is 8/9/10sp).
Have a look at seller's other items - they've taken Claris (8sp) off the Vitus Razor frame.
What is the spoke count? I would not go for radial spoke pattern on wheels intended to be reliable for long audaxes.
The wheels are 24/28 spokes. Agree: why would you not cross spokes to have a stronger wheel?
Not had a problem with radial spokes tbh.
When was your last 400k audax James? (as in OP's "long audaxes").

Last edited:
Top Bottom