Audaxing A-Z on my Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
;)

For Z:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs - caught in snatches by participants in LEL, PBP etc.

OP
OP
vorsprung

vorsprung

Veteran
Landslide said:
:smile:

For Z:

That's a generic thing though isn't it? Not very audax-specific. I have added "bus shelter" just now however, someone else suggested that :smile:

jimboalee

SheilaH said:
I notice you've omitted M is for Mseries.

M is also for Mileater. A lovely multicoloured medal for riding excess of 10,000 km in one season.

Perhaps the OP hasn't got one to photograph, so here's a snap for your blog.

P191401_25-06-10.jpg

jimboalee

I have a feeling the Mileater medal has been discontinued.

I got mine by riding 4 x 50km rides per week.

On weeks when I rode a 200km Rando, I rode only 2 50km rides through the week and caught up some distance JIC I fell ill later in the year.

The 50km rides were between work and home nearly every working day of the year.
There were several 200km rides which ammounted to 18 points.

And as I remember, during all those 10,156 km, I never had one motorist object to my riding style. ;)

jimboalee

Landslide said:
;)

For Z:

B

Biro. A specially engineered tube full of ink to write answers to the Info' controls on your Brevet card. Never be without one.

C

Compass. A device for finding magnetic north. Never be without one.

K

Kimberley Clark. Manufacturers of paper tissues for mopping brow, wiping oil off frame and cleaning spectacles. Never be without them.

T

Teaspoon. A small sized identical replica of the Desert spoon. Used for eating Muller Rice with dignity. Never be without one.

Z

Zip-lock bag. A waterproof packet to keep you Brevet card dry. Never be without one.

Svendo

Guru
Great work, Enjoyed looking through it and it answers a lot of obscure questions without me having to embarass myself.
Some constructive feedback, I didn't understand the entry on 'Brevet Randonnuer', until I'd done some research on Wiki. I think it means time limit extended over the standard time limits of the Auduax Club Parisien to account for the distance.

Svendo

Guru
Oooh, my inner pedant is in full flow! noticed the 'compact chainset' entry says the width of the chainrings is lower than normal. I'll happily stand corrected but I thought the chainrings remain the standard 5mm apart (or 5.5mm on new Shimano dura ace 7900, ultegra 6700 and possibly new 105 5700), and the 'compactness' refers to the smaller 110 BCD allowing inner rings down to 34t.

jimboalee

Svendo said:
Oooh, my inner pedant is in full flow! noticed the 'compact chainset' entry says the width of the chainrings is lower than normal. I'll happily stand corrected but I thought the chainrings remain the standard 5mm apart (or 5.5mm on new Shimano dura ace 7900, ultegra 6700 and possibly new 105 5700), and the 'compactness' refers to the smaller 110 BCD allowing inner rings down to 34t.

Don't overly worry about it.
Any sensible Audaxer will fit a triple.

jimboalee

U
Under Distance – see over distance. Under distance is not allowed

Read the regs.

Proof of completion is a correctly stamped Brevet card.

If the organiser is stupid enough to arrange the route where "Under Distance" is possible, that's his/her silly fault.

Usually though, if underdistance is possible, the shorter route is 'straight up a mountain' :biggrin:;)

OP
OP
vorsprung

vorsprung

Veteran
Svendo said:

Sheldon Brown agrees with you about 110 BCD but what I was trying to say is the reason I thought they were called compact is that they have a lower Q factor. I forget where I read this but it looks like it's wrong anyway :biggrin:

Top Bottom