Austin A35 fuel economy test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I came across this on YouTube where the RAC tested an Austin Healey A35 to check it's fuel economy. I won't give any spoilers (and don't read the comments if you want to remain in suspense). Have at it!

Ps: IDK much about this car but wiki search shows that it was in production from 1956 for a few years.

13 rider

Guru
A jolly good show my man

presta

Guru
The guy who lived opposite me had an A35 van back in the 1960s. It was immaculate like all his cars, they only came out of the garage on Sundays, and he used to paint the underneath of them with old engine oil to prevent rust. After he swapped it for an Austin Cambridge a local garage ran his old van, and then after that a jewellers in the High Street ran it. I can't remember the last time I saw it around, but I think it might have been less than 20 years ago.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had a 1952 A40 Devon saloon, a 1954 Devon Commercial van & a 1954 A40 Somerset during the late 70's/early 80's.
Lovely old cars but I have no idea whatsoever of the fuel consumption! Probably between 25 & 35 at a guess..

siadwell

Guru
When I was a kid, my dad bought an old A30 with a view to restoring it. He had very little mechanical knowledge and fell ill shortly after so it sat in the garage for years until he sold it on. I remember driving it up and down our drive, with an old chisel poked into the gearbox in lieu of a gearstick!
The engine was very simple and small and didn't fill the space under the bonnet, but I don't imagine the car was very economical.

D

Deleted member 1258

lovely to see the clear roads on that video. Many years ago, when I was a nipper one of my Aunts had a A35, it had the big knob in the middle of the dashboard for the semaphore indicator arms that stuck out the side of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
quite impressive fuel economy ..... mind you its a 34hp engine ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
Very impressive fuel economy, 53 mpg, I thought maybe 35 when it started :laugh:
The shot as it arrived in Lincoln brought back memories, we lived nearby in the late 60s, the archway looked very familiar.
Good video. Did everyone speak with that typical clipped voice you always see on TV from that time ?

In real terms, petrol was quite high in the late 50's due to the Suez Crisis, around £1.70 litre in todays money, it had been less than half that 10 years earlier .... so handy that the A35 was good on petrol.
Best time to be a motorist was the 20's when tax on petrol was removed, so 50p/l in todays money.

Top Bottom