Automatic gear bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
Has anyone riden one? - I was looking at an american one the other day and intrigued if it is any good.
thee are some coming out which link your ride with your ipod and change gears for you.

AndyRM

XOXO
I have seen videos of them in use. Seems a pretty poor idea to me. There's a certain intuition when it comes to changing gear which I'm not sure could be replicated electronically.

goody

Veteran
I think semi auto is the way to go now electronic shifting is here, you change up and down and the brain decides which combination of front chainring / rear sprocket to use.

fossala

Guru
I think semi auto is the way to go now electronic shifting is here, you change up and down and the brain decides which combination of front chainring / rear sprocket to use.
Already there. Hopelfully someone can provide a link of the mod as I can't find it.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I do wonder if they improve your cycling efficency, I often find mysrlf pushing a bit harder and watch my speed drop off having realized I should have changed down about a hundred yards back, if my gears did it for me I'm sure it would get the best out of my push. - just need a system that works and is honest enough to say "pete honestly - get off and push ":laugh:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Fair wheel bikes do sequential Di2 which is about as far as I would want to go personally.

Bad news is a bike with it costs about $40k
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/fairwheel-bikes-showstoppers-interbike-2013-38449/

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
wow, - that is definetly the future. ok $40k now but the price will come down give it 10years.
of course if it requirs a certain speed to get to the big ring, would it ever change up to that for me? - Possibly going downhill.

Chris Norton

How about you set the cadence up and the system works within a small area either side of this. Possibly simple on a single chainring. Complex on a double but on a triple may be down near impossible.

Interesting though.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've seen that Decathlon one - Fichtel (sp?) used to make one. Although, don't Decathlon fit it to one of the Tilt range? None of those have dérailleurs anyway - they're all hub gears of one sort or another.
There's been a few automatic systems over the years - none of them have lasted.

fabregas485

I like feeling connected to the bike. I can feel the gear changes, and I can feel when something is wrong. That being said, I would like to try a automatic system out to see how well it works in a real application.

Top Bottom