Autumn In The Peak Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Should be a very nice 120k with two and half thousand feet metres of climbing starting from Bamford.

20th September - 9am start.

Anyone other than those who expressed an interest in it in MarinYorks Strines ride thread fancy it?

Get your entries in soon.

RedBike

Is that Bamford as in the one near Ladybower?

Any links to an entry page / more information (like the route). ?

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's the same day as the Ruthin CS though I'd prefer the Peak one but I can't find any specific details about it. Any links?

bonj2

PaulB said:
It's the same day as the Ruthin CS though I'd prefer the Peak one but I can't find any specific details about it. Any links?

no it isn't! Check again! Can't get out of it that easily! ;)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Newbie here...

My experience of cycling events to date is 1 sportive (Ryedale Rumble 2). Can someone explain how this Audax event would be different? i.e. does everyone cycle together, or is it just like a sportive where people just start when they are ready?

It looks similar in length and declared amount of climbing to the sportive I did, and I averaged 11.5 mph on that (on the cycle computer, so average on cycling time only) - but very slow on the climbs (on foot, on two of them!). So if it was a case of people riding together, I might get left behind on the climbs?

bonj2

Spinney said:
Newbie here...

My experience of cycling events to date is 1 sportive (Ryedale Rumble 2). Can someone explain how this Audax event would be different? i.e. does everyone cycle together, or is it just like a sportive where people just start when they are ready?

It looks similar in length and declared amount of climbing to the sportive I did, and I averaged 11.5 mph on that (on the cycle computer, so average on cycling time only) - but very slow on the climbs (on foot, on two of them!). So if it was a case of people riding together, I might get left behind on the climbs?

The main difference between an audax and a sportive is that on an audax you have to find your own way round - there are no signs.
Consequence of this being that you either have to take the route card, or a GPS, or (imho preferably) both.

The other difference is that on an audax, it is less of a race - there isn't really any emphasis on times or doing it as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean there aren't people who treat it as a race, however.
Consequence of this being that people tend to sit in cafes where control points are held and have a cup of tea and a bite to eat and chill out for a bit, rather than necking some flapjacks, filling up with energy drink and dashing off again.

This audax is hilly, the climb to monsal head being fairly significant for instance, but I don't think there's anything much worse than say blakey bank on the ryedale rumble.

bonj2

Spinney said:
does everyone cycle together, or is it just like a sportive where people just start when they are ready?

Yeah, it's nice to cycle together, but i often find on audaxes that I go overtake people between controls 'cos i cycle faster than they do, but then I take longer in the controls than them, so they're ahead again when i'm setting off. THe last audax i did though i happened to hook upwith one guy who by and large cycled at the same speed as me, so we stuck together for most of it, including in controls which was nice.
On audaxes, you can't (well at least it's frowned upon) to set off before the start time, but lots of people set off after. Consequently you will get a lot of people setting off AT the start time, on the dot, so therefore I would guess that if you want to maximise your chances of riding with a group, be ready to sett off at the start time.

bonj2

Spinney said:
Thanks bonj.
Not sure if I'm free that weekend, but might manage it. Sounds like I'll be walking up to Monsal Head!

nah... only if you're really inappropriately geared. ;)

Top Bottom