Average Speed on your Folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ok, i'm slow and I don't mind admitting it although I do have my speedy (for me) moments. I want to know how slow I am and how much work do I have to do. I know everybody's rides are different but what would you say is the average speed you hit. Most of my Brompton riding is on my commute. First couple and last couple of miles is along the Chichester canal, the rest of commute is around west London.

Average speed 11mph ride Brompton H6L

jay clock

Massive member
When I was doing a commute of 10.2 across London I was taking about 32 minutes. So similar

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
About the same on my S3L, standard gearing. I'm a dedicated pootler and pretty similar times on whatever I'm riding - no skinny minny featherlight roadies in my collection now tho.

The limiting factor is definitely me & not the bike.

6gear Brompton 13.62mph
18gear Surly Troll 11.29mph (winter bike)
1gear Cinelli 14.69mph
average speed of all commuting over a few thousand miles. Best fun is Brommie though !

12boy

Guru
Recently I have been on a couple of rides on the same bike path which is 10 miles long on level ground with almost no wind and no stops for intersections. Air temp was 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Each 10 mile leg took just about 40 minutes with a few minutes in the middle to use the bathroom and peel off some clothing since it warmed up a little. This was at 91 gear inches and seems to work out to 15 mph. My bike with a leather saddle, 3 speed SA hub, SPD pedals, a front bag and tools etc is about 28 lbs.

12boy

Guru
Recently I have been on a couple of rides on the same bike path which is 10 miles long on level ground with almost no wind and no stops for intersections. Air temp was 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Each 10 mile leg took just about 40 minutes with a few minutes in the middle to use the bathroom and peel off some clothing since it warmed up a little. This was at 91 gear inches and seems to work out to 15 mph. My bike with a leather saddle, 3 speed SA hub, SPD pedals, a front bag and tools etc is about 28 lbs.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OK I lied .....
12mph over the 55 miles of the Evans Windsor Sportive on the S6L.

Kell

Veteran
I'd say that as a rule on my commute I average 14 mph+ - though I always try to aim to go faster than 15mph average.

However, the route does involve laps of Hyde Park, so for much of it there are no junctions or lights.

Because it's 3 miles around Hyde Park, this varies from 2.5 miles (where I go straight from the station, half-way round the park and then to work) to 11.5 miles where I put in three laps of the park. As a general rule I do 5.5 or 8.5 though because of time.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the fastest averages are when I do more laps of Hyde Park. Yesterday I only did 2.5 miles and that was 13.2 mph. Today I did 9.6 miles and averaged 14.4 mph.

These are broadly comparable with the averages I used to set on my full-size folding Dahon, but at least 2-3 mph slower than when I did the same route on my road bike.

Pumping up the tyres and cleaning the drive train seem to make a massive difference.

fimm

Veteran
7 - 8 mph (12 - 13 km/h) on the Brompton
Did 51 km with 864 m ascent at 21 km/h at the weekend on the road bike
Or 39km with 563 m ascent at 26km/h on a TT bike as the bike leg of a triathlon a couple of weeks ago

Kell

Veteran
image.png
15.4 this morning over 7.2 miles. Ignore the 44.5 max though. There are a couple of parts on the route where the instant speed spikes.

Top Bottom