Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before I start this topic I must stress that i dont think that fastest times are really crucial on a commute. I do it as I want to be environment friendly, love the outdoors and to keep fit. It's been windy today on my ride but I timed myself on my new hybrid bike. I did 8.7 miles on cycle track in 37 minutes. I think that's approximately around 14.10 miles per hour average. Don't know top speed as no computer yet and the time includes stopping at crossings etc. My daily ride is 17.4 miles. How does this fair to other peoples average times? I'm curious. Love the new bike and leaving car at home.

14mph for a 17.4mile commute is reasonable and good. Most would be happy with this - though most wouldn't worry too much about their av getting to work

/edit - I should add that this obviously depends on hills and lights, even for a flatish commute without much traffic its still okay (most of us measure moving time only anyway :tongue:)

Seconded.

I spent almost a year trying to get my 5 mile (mostly downhill) commute under 15 minutes.
It eventually happened but it was a case of school holidays and the lights being my favour that finally clinched it, rather than an Herculean effort.

Put the effort in, but don't worry too much about your final time as the two don't often go together.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Averages mean pretty much nothing to me, most days i will average under 14mph for a +30mile round trip. But I spend 13% of my journey time stopped in traffic or at traffic lights. I'm rarely overtaken by another cyclist

Bigsharn

Veteran
According to my computer, I average 12mph over my (anywhere between 1.3 and 5 mile each way) commute, but when it's traffic free, I'm comfortable cruising along at 18mph :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As with Gaz. Cycling in London, (or any town/city for that matter) that has many lights and junctions you will not get a real mean average speed.
My +30 mile round trip rarely manages above 15mph and not many cyclists overtake me either

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am really lucky not many junctions ten at most, only 550ft climbing the same decents and about and my record is 54 minutes for 14.8 miles. Avg total 16.6mph moving avg 17mph

but more often than not I do it 55 to 1 hour

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am a lucky git, most of my commute is out in the countryside, my fastest average to date is over 19mph over 16 miles, one day I will crack 20mph. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As others have said averages ar every personal base don your fitness, terrain , type of bike etc etc , there are to many variables to make a like for like comparison.

Some days are better than others dependent on the weather, how tired you are znd how your legs feel along with traffic and light sequence.

If your getting faster then thats all that matters :biggrin:

I was going to do a "my PB best commute today " thread but i shall put it here for comparison.

Normal commute for me is close to 450 feet of climbing in 10 miles of rolling terrain that has some steep lumps with no traffic lights or many cars as it is a cross country commute at 6 am, i average 17 mph for the ride with full panniers etc etc .Fastest speed is around 35 down hill, 21 on the flat and down to 10 or so on the hills .

Today i came out to a flat tyre so after a change of tube and cleaning my hands i set off , i allow time for mechanical`s but i decide to give it a bit of beans today .
10 miles in just under 32 minutes giving me an average of 19 mph :laugh:

Fastest longer time is again 19 mph over 37 miles and then 17 mph over 73 miles, the last one could have been a bit faster if my chain had not kept dropping gears as my bottom bracket decided to give up the ghost .

MoG

Veteran
My average is probably about 10 miles an hour but that's because I'm idle.

Bout right for me too, over approx 18 mile ride. But, in my defence your honour, thats coz much of it is on dodgy canal towpaths riding my Saracen Instinct jump stylee type bike.

perplexed

Guru
Due to a slight typo when entering data, my average speed was 89,000 mph once...

Commuting for me is pretty quick, as I have only one set of lights and it's short. So often 18 or 19 mph.

Pottering in the Peak district varies on my mood and length of ride, not to mention the chuffin hills, so maybe between 13.5mph-15mph.

Top Bottom